LM13 and DialUp Modem 'no data traffic' [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gene

LM13 and DialUp Modem 'no data traffic' [SOLVED]

Post by gene »

Hi, I'm trying to connect LM13 to internet using External Serial Modem.
I've got the the point where Gnome-PPP dials the modem, seems to connect to my ISP, but there is no data traffic at that point. If someone has been down this path, can you tell me if there is something else to check/install/modify at this point.

Or, if there a fool-proof "how-to" somewhere floating around on the internet that I haven't yet come across, that would also help. (This machine is not connected to internet when LM13 is running. If required, I will be able to post screenshots/terminal output over several days, as I need to walk files to another machine which is connected.)

I have connected the exact same hardware to the internet using latest Linux Puppy, and it connects with no probs.
This confirms that computer, external modem and cabling are in order.
However, no joy with LM13.

thks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gene

Re: LM13 and DialUp Modem 'no data traffic'

Post by gene »

Due to the overwhelming response, I thought I might post again, if for no other reason than to have a private conversation with myself about dialup and LM.

I know what you mean G, I've found ppl tell me to; try This, and, try This, but no-one tells me 'oh This is your problem', you need to do This. Almost like, everyone's on broadband and, because dialup is slow, it MUST be easy. Meanwhile the days are clicking by and I'm still not connected.

Ah yeah, it is like that isn't it. I feel like, if I ever get my modem connected, by that time, I'll be most of the way towards a Linux administrator, and all I just wanna be is an enduser. I reckon if I ever get this LinuxBox connected, I'll definitely write an instruction.pdf and make it available. Maybe if I get it connected I'll save the OS to a new .iso, complete with operating DialUp. Would that work? Mmmm, so many possibilities.

And then I was thinking, why leave the .deb files tucked away in some share/binary folder somewhere and not install them from the get-go. Maybe because there was no reliable way that the apps would result in reliable dialup connexn. Maybe let the enduser muddle through the process and if it works, then good-on-'em. No responsibility or complaints go to LM. There's always a reason.

So, I've reinstalled LM13 three times this week, honed the process of installing and configuring the Dialup apps down to a few hours instead of a few nights, and get the same result 3 times.
And here it is :

========================================================
RESULT OF ...LOG -FILE AFTER CONNECTING VIA GNOME-PPP GUI
========================================================

--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.61
--> Cannot set information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Please enter password (or empty password to stop):
--> Sending: ATM1L3DT0198331292
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATM1L3DT0198331292
CONNECT 115200
User Access Verification
Username: username: login:
--> Carrier detected. Starting PPP immediately.
--> Starting pppd at Wed Oct 24 00:46:54 2012
--> Pid of pppd: 1702
--> Using interface ppp0
--> local IP address 203.129.147.125
--> remote IP address 203.123.69.137
--> primary DNS address 202.76.170.228
--> secondary DNS address 203.24.100.7

That's it.
The Gnome-PPP clock starts counting the connexn time, but no traffic.
No up, no down, no Firefox, no chat, no email, nothin.

Surely there must be someone out there who's done this before?
Anyone?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I have no experience with Gnome PPP. Having a short search on the forum, I found this post. Another user having a discussion with himself, I'm sorry to say. Perhaps some of the tips, especially from the second post, will be helpful to you: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=107488

Linux Mint 13 is using dnsmasq, and especially the bit about disabling that may be worth a shot.
gene

Post by gene »

I know you'll all be pleased to know that I finally got a dialup connexn working via external serial modem.
Thanks Vincent for the links to elsewhere in this forum and to the little snippets of info amongst all of the trials and tribulations that ppl have been having.

The final step was to *create* a file called resolve.conf in the /etc directory, and type in my ISP primary and secondary DNS as ...
nameserver 203.x.x.x
nameserver 201.x.x.x

...then save.

These data, (written exactly like this) were found in another file in another directory, but just not in the /etc folder, and not in a file called resolve.conf. It needs to be in resolve.conf, and the resolve.conf file needs to be in the /etc folder.

Cant create a file in /etc folder until you change permissions for that folder.
Cant move a file into /etc folder until you change permissions for that folder.

So many steps!

I'll go through the process a few more times from fresh install, and get all the steps and screenshots.
In frightening detail.
When I can follow all my steps in my instruction set, and get to the same outcome yet again, (connexn on dialup), I'll post the info.

If anyone wants info in the meantime, just ask. I've got notes.
Its all written down, but want to put example screenshots and terminal output to the steps.

cheers, G
Australia
gene

Re: LM13 and DialUp Modem 'no data traffic' [SOLVED]

Post by gene »

For anyone who is interested, I have now assembled a .pdf of instructions with photos and screenshots, for setting up dialup on LM13, using external serial modem.
This forum only allows 776 Kb files to be uploaded, so I have split the .pdf into 2 parts.

cheers G
LM13_Dialup_Instructions_1-4.pdf
LM13_Dialup_Instructions_5-16.pdf

For instructions for dialup using external serial modem using COM1 port and USB port (via converter cable) on
LM15 Mate DVD Edition, see further down in this thread.
cheers G
Last edited by gene on Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gene

Post by gene »

Hi,

If you have a newer model computer without a RS232 or COM1 port, you can still use an old-school dialup modem on one of the USB ports on your computer, by using a USB to RS232 Converter Cable.

I bought a USB to RS232 converter cable on eBay, for $1.68 AU including postage, just to see if it would work.
I would lose AU$1.68 if it didnt work. Worth a shot.

Search for :
USB 2.0 to RS232 SERIAL Cable 9PIN 9 PIN DB9 Adapter Cord PDA GPS XP VISTA

This connector had Vendor ID:Product ID = 067b:2303
It is a Prolific Technology Inc. product.

LM13 has the driver already for this converter cable.
After plugging in the cable to your USB port,
do [in Terminal] dmesg, then amongst the pages of result, somewhere near the bottom you see :

USB 2.0 to COM Device
Prolific Technology Inc.
pl2303 converter detected
registered new interface driver

Just connect the RS232 end from the converter cable, to the RS232 cable coming from the dialup modem.
(I assume that you have setup the dialup software from my instructions above.)
In Gnome PPP, when you 'Detect Modem', the dialup modem is found at ttyUSB0, and it works.

I may amend my instructions later to include this method of connexn.

G
converter cable.jpg
Last edited by gene on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gene

Post by gene »

Hi,
What are you trying to show in this link?

In my instructions, Note 4 and Step 8, I describe and solve the issue with resolv.conf being located at /etc/ppp/resolv.conf, whereas it should be at /etc/resolv.conf. Apparently this was noted much earlier as a mysterious change (error?) by the developers when they wrote this part of LM, and which did not transfer properly to dialup. Hopefully in future versions of LM the developers will get this issue sorted.

G
phelest

Post by phelest »

Hi Gene,
when I did set up dial-up stuff last time I have used Ubuntu 7.10 I think. Ubuntu had a how to do page for that if I remember right, but I remember I also had this kind of problem. Just 3 things about what I have learned so far - or how I see the relationship:
Any user is not allowed to dialout until (s)he is member of the "dialout" group - so what to do is :

Code: Select all

sudo adduser $USER dialout
/etc/ppp/resolv.conf is always discovered during PPP start-up:
In case "usepeerdns" is set active in pppd, a new /etc/ppp/resolv.conf file is build - see man page of pppd:

man pppd | perl -ane'if(/usepeerdns/){$p=6}; printf "%2d $_",$p-- if $p;'
6 usepeerdns
5 Ask the peer for up to 2 DNS server addresses. The addresses supplied by the peer (if any) are passed to the /etc/ppp/ip-up
4 script in the environment variables DNS1 and DNS2, and the environment variable USEPEERDNS will be set to 1. In addition,
3 pppd will create an /etc/ppp/resolv.conf file containing one or two nameserver lines with the address(es) supplied by the
2 peer.

This can be compared with the retrieved data:

grep 'ppp' /var/log/syslog | cat -n
/etc/ppp/resolv.conf seems to be for RETRIEVED DNS related to the ppp interface ONLY - while /etc/resolv.conf is USED by ALL interfaces.
So what is very unclear to me is, whether there are main differences regarding DNS between Ubuntu and LinuxMint, and
how the info in these 2 files should be automatically updated in case you have different dial-up ISPs.

Regards, P.
phelest

Post by phelest »

... and what I noted down for my very first tests with Fedora 7 was:

su (-)?
cd /etc/ppp/
cp resolv.conf ..
gene

Post by gene »

For anyone who is interested, I have now re-posted the .pdf of instructions with photos and screenshots,
for setting up dialup on LM13. This version (.V2) includes using ....

-- External Serial Modem 56k with RS232 cable and COM1 port, and
-- External Serial Modem 56k with USB-to-RS232 converter cable (for those who don't have a COM1 port).

I have added a few screenshots, cleaned a bit of the text, and added relevant info
for when connecting with a USB-to-RS232 converter cable.
The converter cable is a Prolific Technology Inc. PL2303 as described a few posts above.
LM13 DVD edition has the driver pre-installed for this cable.
The cable is 'auto-located' by LM13, when plugged in to any USB port.

This forum only allows 776 Kb files to be uploaded, so I have split the .pdf into 3 parts.

cheers G
LM13_Dialup_Instructions_V2_1-2.pdf
LM13_Dialup_Instructions_V2_3-10.pdf
LM13_Dialup_Instructions_V2_11-19.pdf
gene

Post by gene »

Instructions for connecting to Dialup Internet using External Serial Modem on LM15 Mate DVD Edition.

Evolved from LM13_v2 instructions above, and so, this instruction set (below) also includes connexn
using COM1 port and USB port (via converter cable).

cheers G
gene

Re: LM13, 15, 17 DialUp Modem 'no data traffic' [SOLVED]

Post by gene »

LinuxMint17.v2, Mate DVD Edition, does not support dialup internet out-of-the-box.
LinuxMint17.1, Mate DVD Edition, does not support dialup internet out-of-the-box.
LinuxMint17.2, Mate DVD Edition, does not support dialup internet out-of-the-box.
LinuxMint17.3, Mate DVD Edition, does not support dialup internet out-of-the-box.

This is due to an ommission or removal of the local-repositories directory,
which contained (amongst various other .deb files) 5x .deb files containing software which
was required to be installed by the user, and necessary for dialup connection.
These .deb files must now be obtained from previous versions of LinuxMint,
or downloaded from an online repository.
Try http://pkgs.org/ and search the Ubuntu14.04 LTS repository.

The 5x .deb files which need to be installed (for intel processor machines) are latest versions of:
  • libwvstreams4.6-base_4.6.1-6_i386.deb
    libwvstreams4.6-extras_4.6.1-6_i386.deb
    libuniconf4.6_4.6.1-6_i386.deb
    wvdial_1.61-4.1_i386.deb
    gnome-ppp_0.3.23-1.2ubuntu1_i386.deb

Note that 'latest version' might be 4.6.x or even 4.7.x.

At time of writing, this forum has reduced attachment size to 50Kb, so
this prevents me from posting a new instruction set for LM17.2,3+
Anyone looking for latest LM17.x instructions are welcome to send me
a PM, with an email address to send .pdf's.
(The PM service on this forum does not allow file-attachment.)
The instructions have been split into 3 parts, total file size for all 3 combined, is ~1.5MB.
Your patience is appreciated.

In the meantime, DO try the latest version of instructions (above). It will work.
Any new instructions are just a refinement of content/presentation of that version.

cheers G
Last edited by gene on Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelB1953
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MichaelB1953 »

Hello Gene!

Thank you for the instructions for dial up setup in Linux Mint Mate 17.

They worked perfectly in MATE 17.3 with the Trendnet TFM-561U USB modem.
Sincerely;
MB
:D
gene

Post by gene »

No probs.
Thanks for sharing the make/model of the modem which you used.

G
Renée

Post by Renée »

Gene if you see this , since I am a newbee I cannot pm you, maybe you can send the pdf files when you have the chance. it would be appreciated. I am hoping it will work for LM 18 XFCE,
a usb modem lsusb shows
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 0572:1324 Conexant Systems (Rockwell), Inc.

I did find the lib packages in the software manager by entering each item, sometimes removing the extensions until it appears. installed them proper order.
If I get this to work I will let everyone know. this is the only thing keeping me from moving away from Win 7....I need dial-up 3 days a week!
Thank you
Renée k6fsb.1 at gmail dot com
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I would be careful about following instructions written for an earlier version of Mint. It might work, it might trash your system. There are Linux drivers available for Conexant/Rockwell modems available here:

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Renée

Post by Renée »

thanks for the link. I will give it a try....If the system crashes or I trash it , I will start over. no biggie. I am getting good at reinstalls.....important data is on separate partition and also on an external HD.
I may have to figure out how to install the driver since the kernel is sooo much newer and 64 bit.
looks like some instructions are available.....i will keep everyone posted.
Renée
gene

Post by gene »

Hi Renee,

My LM15 Mate Dialup Instructions (above) are also suitable for LM18 Mate.
The Pluma text editor in LM15 has been replaced wih Xed.
You need to modify instructions to account for this.

LM18-xfce seems to require that you install even more .deb files - there are more dependencies.
I haven't checked the instructions for LM18-xfce completely yet.

cheers G
centaurusa

Post by centaurusa »

[quote="gene"]My LM15 Mate Dialup Instructions (above) are also suitable for LM18 Mate.

I am trying to get a USB port on a Mint 18 Mate box to connect to an external US Robotics v.92 modem through a USB to serial adapter cable. I followed all of the steps in your instructions. The modem connects to the ISP, but does not show any data traffic, and then hangs up after 30 seconds. The relevant wvdial output is:

--> The PPP daemon has died: A modem hung up the phone (exit code = 16)

The syslog file has lots of related messages, none of which mean anything to me. The first few items that may be relevant are:

Dec 11 07:51:11 HP-Pavilion-Notebook-PC pppd[2363]: pppd 2.4.7 started by root, uid 0
Dec 11 07:51:11 HP-Pavilion-Notebook-PC pppd[2363]: Using interface ppp0
Dec 11 07:51:11 HP-Pavilion-Notebook-PC pppd[2363]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyUSB0
Dec 11 07:51:11 HP-Pavilion-Notebook-PC NetworkManager[792]: nm_device_get_device_type: assertion 'NM_IS_DEVICE (self)' failed
Dec 11 07:51:11 HP-Pavilion-Notebook-PC NetworkManager[792]: <info> [1481460671.2242] manager: (ppp0): new Generic device (/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/3)
Dec 11 07:51:11 HP-Pavilion-Notebook-PC NetworkManager[792]: <info> [1481460671.2350] devices added (path: /sys/devices/virtual/net/ppp0, iface: ppp0)
Dec 11 07:51:11 HP-Pavilion-Notebook-PC NetworkManager[792]: <info> [1481460671.2350] device added (path: /sys/devices/virtual/net/ppp0, iface: ppp0): no ifupdown configuration found.
Dec 11 07:51:11 HP-Pavilion-Notebook-PC kernel: [ 511.543718] wlp2s0: deauthenticating from 00:1c:f0:f5:75:7e by local choice (Reason: 3=DEAUTH_LEAVING)
Dec 11 07:51:11 HP-Pavilion-Notebook-PC wpa_supplicant[1046]: wlp2s0: CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED bssid=00:1c:f0:f5:75:7e reason=3 locally_generated=1
Dec 11 07:51:11 HP-Pavilion-Notebook-PC avahi-daemon[780]: Interface wlp2s0.IPv6 no longer relevant for mDNS.
Dec 11 07:51:11 HP-Pavilion-Notebook-PC avahi-daemon[780]: Leaving mDNS multicast group on interface wlp2s0.IPv6 with address fe80::d08a:7365:bd22:db9c.
Dec 11 07:51:11 HP-Pavilion-Notebook-PC dhclient[1536]: receive_packet failed on wlp2s0: Network is down

The board doesn't seem to want to let me post the whole .txt file giving an "Invalid file extension" error so I hope that the above is sufficient for you (or some else reading this) to diagnose the fault.

Return to “Networking”