How to turn on 3G modem (EM770?), and Bluetooth?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
timbp

How to turn on 3G modem (EM770?), and Bluetooth?

Post by timbp »

I have just bought a new (generic) laptop, sans OS, on which I have installed Linux Mint 14 Xfce (64-bit).
I am unable to activate the built-in 3G modem or the Bluetooth.

I know the Bluetooth was working when I originally booted from the Live CD. Wifi is turned on/off by Fn-F11 and Bluetooth by Fn-F12. I accidentally turned off the Bluetooth when trying to turn on the wifi. At the time I didn't worry as I assumed I could just turn Bluetooth on again later.
I did not have a SIM card available when I installed Mint, so I just ignored the 3G modem, again assuming I could set it up later.

Now I cannot get either device to turn on, and I am cannot find any evidence that Linux knows they exist (but I may not be looking in the right places).

Bluetooth is supposed to turn on/off with Fn-F12, and the single wifi/bluetooth LED should be orange if bluetooth is turned on. As far as I can tell, pressing Fn-F12 does nothing.
The 3G modem is supposed to turn on/off with Fn-[hyphen/underscore]. There is no hardware indicator of whether it is on, and I don't know where to look in Linux for a software indicator.

I suspect that these hotkeys are not actually doing anything, although Fn-F11 works perfectly for the wifi. If so, then can I turn the devices on some other way? and then how do I fix the hotkeys? Or if the problem is nothing to do with the keyboard, where do I start looking and what do I look for?

I can't see anything in lspci or lsusb that looks like either device. rfkill list shows the wifi device, but nothing else.

I found something relevant to Bluetooth at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=191&t=56621 although it is from 2011 so I don't know if it's still relevant. I will try it when I get home (don't have access to the laptop right now).

I don't know what the Bluetooth model is (it's not listed separately on the laptop order form, and as I said nothing in lspci or lsusb appears to be it).
The 3G modem is listed on the order form as EM770/Ericsson (although searching EM770 suggests it should be Huawei).

Any advice welcomed.

Thanks
Tim
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
timbp

Re: How to turn on 3G modem (EM770?), and Bluetooth?

Post by timbp »

Well, I started working through the suggestions in the thread I linked before.

I'm not sure what did it, but lsusb output now includes the line

Code: Select all

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bdb:1904 Ericsson Business Mobile Networks BV F3607gw Mobile Broadband Module
And the line appears and disappears with use of the Fn-[hyphen/underscore] hotkey that is supposed to turn the device on/off.

So I guess for that I now just need to make sure appropriate drivers are installed and it should work.
How do I check for the drivers?
EDIT: Just tried connecting to 3G and everything worked perfectly.

But I still can't find the Bluetooth device. Any suggestions on how to proceed?
timbp

Post by timbp »

Is there nobody who can suggest anything to try?
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

You can usually enable/disable such device by doing this in the BIOS.
timbp

Post by timbp »

Thanks. I did look in the BIOS a couple of times, but could not find anything that looked relevant. Nevertheless, I did reset the BIOS to defaults, and that might have been what made the 3G suddenly appear and start working (or it may have been one of the other things I tried from that other thread).

Today I started up the laptop and, lo and behold, a Bluetooth icon is appearing in the indicator area. And clicking on it produces a menu, the top item of which is "Turn Bluetooth Off", which seems to imply that Bluetooth is currently on. However, clicking on Adapters.. produces an alert box with nothing but a Close button, and clicking on "SEtup new device..." gives me a message "No adapters found".

So at least now I have the Bluetooth software starting up -- does that mean the OS is detecting the Bluetooth during startup?
But I still can't actually get the device working.

Return to “Hardware Support”