initiate backport via commandline.

initiate backport via commandline.

Postby Trapper on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:29 am

This will probably sound strange .... but ... how can I activate the LM14 backport to my LM13 Maya Mate via commandline rather than by opening the gui Sources tool and checking the backport box?
Trapper
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: initiate backport via commandline.

Postby zerozero on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:52 pm

but you have physical access to the machine?
if yes
apt sources
add backport to packages.linuxmint
you're in nano so Ctrl+O and Ctrl+X (but surely you know this part :lol: )
apt update && apt upgrade

if you don't have physical access i don't know :P

[ bliss of ignorance ]
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Re: initiate backport via commandline.

Postby Trapper on Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:20 pm

zerozero wrote:but you have physical access to the machine?
if yes
apt sources
add backport to packages.linuxmint
you're in nano so Ctrl+O and Ctrl+X (but surely you know this part :lol: )
apt update && apt upgrade

if you don't have physical access i don't know :P

Hi zerozero. Thanks for the reply. Actually I was using mintconstructor and was in a chroot. I was looking for a command line routine to alter sources.list in the chroot via incorporation it into a script. I eventually conjured up something like this:

Code: Select all
sed -i '/^deb http:\/\/packages.linuxmint.com\/ maya main upstream import/ s/$/ backport/' /etc/apt/sources.list

That simply adds 'backport' to the end of the line. It works from a terminal but I have yet to test it in a script.

I got sidetracked to a distro project with remastersys which I've completed and gives me all of what I was out to accomplish with mintconstructor but I will still figure out how to do it all in mintconstructor.My next dumb question will probably be how to copy and paste into mintconstructor's chroot terminal. It doesn't seem to be supported in the mintconstructor supplied terminal. I have lots to do and having to type everything in is going to make the process long, slow and undesirable. Maybe I am just making a simple thing difficult though and am overlooking a totally obvious solution out of lack of experience with the overall process.
Trapper
Level 3
Level 3

Return to MATE