Can't get my GT 520M Drivers to work (I think)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Totte

Can't get my GT 520M Drivers to work (I think)

Post by Totte »

Hi, judging from the topic you might have guess I'm quite new to this whole Linux thing. Anyways, I've tried the sticky topic thing regarding Nvidia cards and I've been googling like crazy for the past two hours and all I can find is stuff about the GT 540M card, I'm giving up now and ask for help here instead.

I'm not 100% they're not working but it's a fresh x64 Cinnamon install and some things feels a bit slow. Like scrolling in the web browser and what not. All I've done so far is

Code: Select all

apt-get update
and installed the updates from update manager.

I'm using a Samsung NP-RV520-S02SE Laptop, specs below. (Just copied from Amazon, ignore Windows 7 stuff)

Samsung RV520 S02 - Core i5 2410M / 2.3 GHz - RAM 4 GB - HDD 500 GB - DVD±RW (+R double layer) / DVD-RAM - GF GT 520M - Gigabit Ethernet - WLAN : 802.11b/g/n - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - 15.6" Widescreen LED backlight TFT 1366 x 768 ( WXGA ) - camera - silver
Thanks in advance.
Kind regards, Totte.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Can't get my GT 520M Drivers to work (I think)

Post by zerozero »

welcome to the mint forums :D

open a terminal and share with us the output of

inxi -SGx
Totte

Post by Totte »

zerozero wrote:welcome to the mint forums :D

open a terminal and share with us the output of

inxi -SGx
Well, thank you kind sir.

Here you go

totte@Totte-Mint ~ $ inxi -SGx
System:    Host: Totte-Mint Kernel: 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.7.2) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 14 Nadia
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GF119 [GeForce GT 520M] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Galli
Here's another one I got after running "sudo apt-get install nvidia-current", not sure if I should have done that though, but I'd like to get my graphic drivers working asap so I'm trying some different stuff :/

totte@Totte-Mint ~ $ inxi -SGx
System:    Host: Totte-Mint Kernel: 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.7.2) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 14 Nadia
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GF119 [GeForce GT 520M] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau) FAILED: nvidia Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 520M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.2.0 NVIDIA 304.43 Direct Rendering: Yes
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Hi Totte
from the last output i see that the nvidia drivers are correctly installed and in use.
i assume that everything should be fine now :)
Totte

Post by Totte »

Yep, the computer appears to be running a bit faster now :P You may close the thread or w/e you do on this forum. Cheers.
Though I have another question, whenever I play games in like Window mode, the menu bar is covering a bit of the game window at the bottom, is there a way to fix this?
Last edited by Totte on Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

good to hear :D
to mark the topic solved, add [SOLVED] to the OP subject :wink:
Totte

Post by Totte »

zerozero wrote:good to hear :D
to mark the topic solved, add [SOLVED] to the OP subject :wink:
I edited my last reply with another question I just came thinking about, rather than creating a new thread :P
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

i believe that you are using cinnamon, right?
i saw that behaviour, try to put the panel in auto-hide (the wording might not be exactly this but you'll find the exact settings in cinnamon-settings > panel)
i think this fixes it.
Totte

Post by Totte »

zerozero wrote:i believe that you are using cinnamon, right?
i saw that behaviour, try to put the panel in auto-hide (the wording might not be exactly this but you'll find the exact settings in cinnamon-settings > panel)
i think this fixes it.
So there's no real fix to it? :P Just a work around?

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”