Atheros AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet not recognized

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
YeeP

Atheros AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet not recognized

Post by YeeP »

I am preparing for a new install of Mint 14.1 Cinnamon on a brand new laptop. I have two issues that I have found on the live disc that I would at least like to try and attempt to solve before the install. I know the “Solved” part of the process might not stay upon install, but if I at least know it will work that would be great.

Here are the results of an lspci, running on the live disc.
mint@mint ~ $ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev c4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM76 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 8723

Issue #1: no ethernet connection and no wifi connection.
No networks are recognized in either the wifi or hard wired to the Ethernet.
From what I have found upon searching around, the Atheros AR8161 is a fairly new setup, and that is most likely why it is not being recognized. I have found it difficult to find solutions directly related to Linux Mint, but I did find these:

a.) http://askubuntu.com/questions/165192/h ... controller
sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-generic linux-headers-`uname -r`
wget -O- http://linuxwireless.org/download/compa ... pc.tar.bz2 | tar -xj
cd compat-wireless-2012-07-03-pc
./scripts/driver-select alx
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe alx
This is probably older, because I have seen new versions of this. I tried it and it fails on the
`uname -r`
b.) http://askubuntu.com/questions/209716/h ... connection
Try download file from the following link on another PC and copy it to your machine via USB Key. http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/ ... _amd64.deb
Then install this package.Reboot your computer.At that moment, probably, you can connect to internet.If you can't, try the following command and restart:
sudo modprobe alx
Note: I assumed that your Ubuntu 12.04 is using default 3.2.0-33 kernel version.If it false, you must download different package.For learning your kernel version,try uname -a command on Terminal.
c.) http://askubuntu.com/questions/237004/a ... asus-n56vm
So the only way I managed to get this working was by compiling the alx driver.
I. Go and get the tarball from The Linux Foundation: http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collabor ... orking/alx and save it somewhere (let's say you saved it in Desktop/alx) II. Install some pakages needed for compiling:
sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-generic linux-headers-uname -r
III. Unpack the tarball and compile it(This is provided that the file you downloaded is called 'compat-wireless-3.6.8-1-snpc.tar.bz2'):
cd /home/YOU/Desktop/alx
tar -xjf compat-wireless-3.6.8-1-snpc.tar.bz2
sudo su
cd compat-wireless-3.6.8-1-snpc
make
make install
modprobe alx
IV. Hooray you should have Ethernet now! :) Try: sudo ifconfig -a - you should see an eth0 inteface
It seems like the main suggestion here is to use alx. I did find one last night where someone said to go to the Ubuntu new release package download and update the kernel to 3.5. I have no idea if that would work for Linux Mint, but I want to make sure. I am trying the right steps before I move forward.
Has anyone dealt with this, on a Mint setup?

My other issue is Mint does not recognize my USB driven wireless Logitech mouse. I know this is not the right forum section for that, so I can move it elsewhere. Mint does recognize other usb devices, and on my older computer the same version of mint recognizes the mouse. That would make me wonder if it is some USB internal issue. The dongle is plugged into a USB 2.0 port, just in case. However, Linux Mint does recognize flash drives on the 3.0 port.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Atheros AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet not recognized

Post by viking777 »

Answers a and c can never work because they require a working internet connection and you don't have one. Answer b is the easiest and most likely to succeed - have you tried it? Where you might be confused by this answer is that the writer has assumed that you have a specific kernel (the same as his) what you really need to do is to go here: http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/ ... les-3.5.0/ and choose the .deb package for your kernel and architecture. The current kernel on Mint is 3.5.0-24-generic so you need one of these two:

linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-3.5.0-24-generic_3.5.0-24.10_amd64.deb 08-Feb-2013 01:06 2.8M
linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-3.5.0-24-generic_3.5.0-24.10_i386.deb 08-Feb-2013 01:07 2.7M

I checked and it definitely contains the alx driver that you apparently need. I can't guarantee it will work though, when you have hardware that is ahead of the development cycle of mainstream Linux you will always get problems - buy hardware that was designed about a year ago and it won't happen.
YeeP

Post by YeeP »

Thanks for looking at that. I wondered the same about the connection issue and how I would download those. I suppose I can download that deb package onto a flash drive from my other computer or in w*ndows, then go over to the live CD and go for the install.

To answer your question, no I did not try B. I was doing some research last night and got frustrated. I didnt want to jack up my machine.

The fun part is after I finish this and install, I have to go fight the UEFI battle... :(

Thank you for your input.

Any ideas on how I can research this USB/wireless mouse deal as far as collecting data from the machine when in linux?
YeeP

Post by YeeP »

viking777 wrote: linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-3.5.0-24-generic_3.5.0-24.10_amd64.deb 08-Feb-2013 01:06 2.8M
So I downloaded this file and transferred it to the machine. I got an error trying to run it.
Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: linux image-3.5.0-24-generic
Then it gives me a little note below:
You likely do not want to install this package directly. Instead,install the linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-generic meta-package, which will ensure that upgrades work correctly, and that supporting packages are also installed
I will go looking for this package, but it sounds like I do not have the right image version?

Remember this is all from the live cd, not sure if that is why it is not finding the image either.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

You likely do not want to install this package directly. Instead,install the linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-generic meta-package, which will ensure that upgrades work correctly, and that supporting packages are also installed
This is true if you are dealing with a computer that has an internet connection - yours doesn't. The problem with installing packages like this (manually shall we say) is that you have to go and find all the dependencies whereas normally apt would do that for you. Sometimes this makes the whole process so difficult as to be impossilbe. Package A requires Package B so you go and get package B but that requires Package C etc. etc. It is called dependency hell, and it used to be an everyday part of Linux life. Luckily those days are now gone, but only for those with an internet connection. What I am saying is that the meta-package will be a waste of time.
but it sounds like I do not have the right image version?
Run

Code: Select all

uname -a 
In a terminal.
Remember this is all from the live cd
Thanks for reminding me because I had forgotten that, but it shouldn't make any difference, if you have the right version of the file (and no missing dependencies) then the driver will be installed into the live session and you should be able to test your wifi from there. You do realise though that when you come to install Mint to your hard drive it will not install complete with with the alx driver, you will have to go through the whole process again (but at least you will already have the correct driver in this case - or at least know where to find it, once you have the correct package save it to a usb key, dont leave it on the live session - it will be lost).
YeeP

Post by YeeP »

ok, uname -a results:

Linux mint 3.5.0-17-generic #28-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 9 19:31:23 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Hopefully that is all typed in there right, obviously, I cannot copy/paste. :)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The alx driver for the AR8161 is also included in this driver package: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/ ... 0-u.tar.gz

You can extract that archive, go to the folder where you extracted it, and then run:

make
sudo make install
That way you only install alx and not all the other ethernet drivers.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Well, there you are, AlberP's solution looks easy enough, but if you prefer the .deb package (which as he says includes a lot of drivers that you don't actually need) you can get it from the same address as before http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/ ... les-3.5.0/ but one of these two packages:

linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-3.5.0-17-generic_3.5.0-17.1_amd64.deb 18-Oct-2012 13:33 2.8M
linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-3.5.0-17-generic_3.5.0-17.1_i386.deb 18-Oct-2012 13:33 2.7M
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The alx driver sadly hasn't been included in the upstream kernel yet, and it looks like this will still take some time: http://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg209285.html
YeeP

Post by YeeP »

Maybe that alx driver can take care of my wireless problem too. I am at work now and cannot play with my laptop, but as soon as I get home tonight, I will follow your advice. I will report back with the results in case it will help someone in the future.

Thank you both for your time and advice. :)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

alx won't solve your wifi problems - the wifi chip is yet another brand new one.

I don't know if the mentioned compat-drivers package already contains the rtl8723ae driver, but if it does, you can leave out the ./scripts/driver-select command to compile all drivers in the package. That way you also get rtl8723ae, which is as far as I know not included in the DEBs viking777 mentioned.

rtl8723ae has made its way into the Linux kernel as of version 3.8 so it will appear in future Mints.
YeeP

Post by YeeP »

AlbertP wrote:alx won't solve your wifi problems - the wifi chip is yet another brand new one.

I don't know if the mentioned compat-drivers package already contains the rtl8723ae driver, but if it does, you can leave out the ./scripts/driver-select command to compile all drivers in the package. That way you also get rtl8723ae, which is as far as I know not included in the DEBs viking777 mentioned.

rtl8723ae has made its way into the Linux kernel as of version 3.8 so it will appear in future Mints.
The deb that viking777 recommended, when attempting to install, actually had a description of something like "a range of wireless connection drivers" or something along those lines. Not sure if that makes any difference to your opinion.

side note: I hate talking like an idiot, this is frustrating. I am sorry.

So it sounds like if I download the recommended, compile the whole thing, it might take care of both. The implementation of the 3.8 kernel sounds like it could be pretty far out...As it is in the 3.5 range right now. At least, IMO.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I just downloaded the compat-drivers package myself and it indeed contains both the wired & wireless drivers. The DEB file lacks the wireless driver.

With 3.8, I meant to say that Mint 15, to be released in May, might have out-of-the-box wireless support - Mint 15 will likely use Linux 3.8 or newer.
YeeP

Post by YeeP »

AlbertP wrote:I just downloaded the compat-drivers package myself and it indeed contains both the wired & wireless drivers. The DEB file lacks the wireless driver.

With 3.8, I meant to say that Mint 15, to be released in May, might have out-of-the-box wireless support - Mint 15 will likely use Linux 3.8 or newer.
Wow, you seem to know a lot about the upcoming mint(s). Let me ask you this... Any idea for planned "support" of a UEFI/amd64 machine?
I plan on using refind for this install but that would be awesome.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

It's a bit off-topic, but UEFI on many machines is already working. I can't say much about the support plans for your specific computer since I am not involved with Mint on UEFI development. I don't own any UEFI hardware myself.

Also Mint 15 will be based on Ubuntu 13.04, and for the moment 3.8 is the kernel for 13.04 which is already being prepared, that's where I got my information from. Mint usually doesn't change much to the kernel from Ubuntu.
YeeP

Post by YeeP »

AlbertP wrote:It's a bit off-topic, but UEFI on many machines is already working. I can't say much about the support plans for your specific computer since I am not involved with Mint on UEFI development. I don't own any UEFI hardware myself.

Also Mint 15 will be based on Ubuntu 13.04, and for the moment 3.8 is the kernel for 13.04 which is already being prepared, that's where I got my information from. Mint usually doesn't change much to the kernel from Ubuntu.
Ok, cool. In my research on that topic and computer setup, I have learned that it can be a real nightmare trying to make things that will work across different machine manufacturers. I swapped my first new machine for this one, because the firmware would not allow you to change the boot mode out of UEFI, and would not allow you to change the order of boot hardware. I could on, but won't. Like you said though, off topic. :mrgreen:
godwood

Post by godwood »

i had exactly the same problem with Atheros AR8161. (Linovo ideapad N581)

got a fresh install image today so the version was 3.5.0-17

so i downloaded this file: http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/ ... _amd64.deb

moved it to an usb drive an startet it on my mint system. installer said that i most likely dont want to install it but it also said that all dependencies are good so i just installed it.

after reboot i had a wonderfull wired dhcp connection. i assume wlan will work aswell as soon as i reactivate it in bios

so solution B was a bullseye

btw i also have a wireless usb mouse plugged in. works like a charm (Logitech MX Performance)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@ godwood: Well probably solution B wouldn't be needed for you, but the OP has a wifi card that still needs some work. If you have problems in future please open a new topic instead of re-using an existing one.
YeeP

Post by YeeP »

So I followed AlbertP's suggestions, while running the liveCD, and I went ahead and did a make on the whole drivers package. Man, I did not think it would be such a huge amount of drivers. At the completion of the make install command, it was suggested to try

sudo modprobe alx
So I did that and BAM I got ethernet connection. So my next question is with the lack of wifi. Based on the lspci, should I assume that my wifi is:

Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 8723
?

I would just like to hunt down which exact driver I need for the wifi setup. That way I do not need to make hundreds of drivers(seems unnecessary).

Also, because I downloaded/extracted into my download folder, I have all of this stuff in there. Is it OK to delete all of it after the make install?

Thank you so much for all the help. Once I get this wifi stuff complete, I am going to make a little list of all of the steps and put it in the thread before I list it as solved.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

For wifi, you need the rtl8723ae module which can also be modprobe'd if installed.

Also, you can instruct compat-drivers to make one driver through ./driver-select, but doing two drivers at once is not possible. You'll need to build the whole package (use ./scripts/driver-select restore to revert the selection of alx only) and then load alx and rtl8723ae. (Edit: there is no switch in driver-select yet to select rtl8723ae, so you'll need to build everything anyway if you want rtl8723ae)

On a multicore system you can speed up the compilation by doing make -j4 instead of make (4 on a quad-core system, use whatever number suits your computer). That way all cores of the CPU are used to compile the drivers including the ones you don't need.

Return to “Networking”