Looking For Help With Terminal Knowledge

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Irishnut

Looking For Help With Terminal Knowledge

Post by Irishnut »

Hello Everyone,

After spending several hours shaking my head at the new Windows 8 which was pre-installed on my laptop, I deceided to take the plunge into the Linux Universe. I've picked to start with Linux Mint which seems to be very similar to the Windows systems, and hope to try out other types has I begin to feel more comfortable. Now, I do not have any thoughts of greatness in respect to just zooming through this like a duck to water. After watching some video's on youtube about the different types out there, I find that a lot of terminal command knowledge is going to be my life preserver which leads me to my question. Does anyone have suggestions on a good book to help learn and understand the terminal commands? I am looking to build a strong foundation in the Linux World.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Looking For Help With Terminal Knowledge

Post by catweazel »

Irishnut wrote:Does anyone have suggestions on a good book to help learn and understand the terminal commands?
The only time you'll need the terminal is if you're messing around or troubleshooting, and even then the terminal isn't always needed. Anyway, I've sent you a PM. I have a book you can have.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Irishnut

Post by Irishnut »

Thank you
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Irishnut wrote:Thank you
It's in the mail. Let me know that you received it. Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Irishnut

Post by Irishnut »

I received it.. Thank you again
flyboy1565

Post by flyboy1565 »

I was looking for info as well. I learn pretty much by doing but using whatis can sometimes make things a lot slower..

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

Google, or buy a book. Send TehGhodTrole a PM and ask him what the book was so you can buy it. I personally learned my way using Google and installing Gentoo from a minimal ISO. You can learn the same stuff by installing Debian from a minimal, with the difference being your system is easier to maintain..
RETNUH

Post by RETNUH »

flyboy1565 wrote:I was looking for info as well. I learn pretty much by doing but using whatis can sometimes make things a lot slower..

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
See my reply here.

Return to “Beginner Questions”