Panels and menu disappeared while editing menu

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
3azz

Panels and menu disappeared while editing menu

Post by 3azz »

Hi all,

A short introduction; I am a Linux-user for quite some time now, but really a user. Technically I am quite a newbie, however I do understand the mechanics.

What happened: I have been editing the "start" menu items and while disabling some icons, the whole menu and the panels disappeared. The whole system is kind of unresponsive. In fact, I have to start Chrome using terminal and once one application has been started via terminal, the terminal becomes unresponsive as well. Quite strange side-effects for just editing the menu-items, not?
Anyway, I feel like a clean install, since I have all my documents on another partition. However, I think that once I do a fresh re-install, I am not quite sure if that solves my problem, since my home folder is on my other partition. If I am quite right, this means that my configuration settings are saved there as well.

Does anyone have experience with this?
I would be very happy if someone could help me out on this.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
3azz

Re: Panels and menu disappeared while editing menu

Post by 3azz »

Hah. Daring helps...

What I did to solve my problem was delete /Home/<<USER>>/.config/menus/cinnamon-applications.menu and reboot. The system apparently then rebuilds a standard menu file and tadaa.... Problem solved.
Was it really that easy? Yes.

Then again, why did an important part of my system became inresponsive just because of this little thing??

If anyone knows the answer to this, it would be great!

;-)

Return to “LMDE Archive”