coverting video into seperate images.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sanocon
Level 2
Level 2

coverting video into seperate images.

Post by Sanocon »

hi. so i'm trying to convert a movie file for a movie I'm making for school into separate images so i can import the images into flash(this way i can make an animated overly image using flash.) is there a way to split the movie so that i have 30 jpg or png images per second of the movie clip?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: coverting video into seperate images.

Post by bigj231 »

I know LiVeS works with seperating frames. You can also use VLC to separate frames. First Google result: http://www.isimonbrown.co.uk/vlc-export-frames/ (The tutorial is on Windows, but the steps should be the same.
rich2005

Post by rich2005 »

It could very much depend on the video format, AVCH is a pita.

For regular mpeg or avi then the frame rate is usually 30 or 25 fps anyway (NTSC or PAL) and you can dump all the frames using ffmpeg on command line. Have the video clip in an empty directory, open a terminal there and use a command

ffmpeg -i filename.avi (or .mpg) -f image2 image-%07d.png (or .jpg)

If it is a AVCH 60 fps .mp4 you could try something like, might work

ffmpeg -y -r 60 -i filename.mp4 -r 30 image.%07d.jpg (or .png)
Jamesc359

Post by Jamesc359 »

You can use -ss <offset> and -t <duration> so you don't have to dump a few thousand images to your drive.

e.g. ffmpeg -i <infile> -ss 60 -t 2 -f image2 image-%07d.png
Sanocon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sanocon »

rich2005 wrote:It could very much depend on the video format, AVCH is a pita.

For regular mpeg or avi then the frame rate is usually 30 or 25 fps anyway (NTSC or PAL) and you can dump all the frames using ffmpeg on command line. Have the video clip in an empty directory, open a terminal there and use a command

ffmpeg -i filename.avi (or .mpg) -f image2 image-%07d.png (or .jpg)

If it is a AVCH 60 fps .mp4 you could try something like, might work

ffmpeg -y -r 60 -i filename.mp4 -r 30 image.%07d.jpg (or .png)
Im tryint to figure this all out. Is it via a linux terminal or a vlc terminal?
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

Linux terminal, you have to have ffmpeg. The VLC stream way I posted might be easiest. You will have to watch the entire video though. The ffmpeg way will transcode it much faster.

Return to “Sound”