Mint 14 (Nadia) - Secure?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sunrise611

Mint 14 (Nadia) - Secure?

Post by Sunrise611 »

I'm concerned about something that I read about the newest stable release of Mint 14 (Nadia) - Cinnamon.

Apparently, the administrator no longer needs to enter the sudo paswords to accept changes to the system such as downloads which has become automatic.

Did I read that correctly? If so, isn't that a security issue?

It is because of this that I am thinking of installing Mint 13 (Maya) instead.

Please advise if this is incorrect or not an issue.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
flyboy1565

Re: Mint 14 (Nadia) - Secure?

Post by flyboy1565 »

From my weeks experience, I still have to sign in to update software automatically. If I use the apt-get update, you still have to sudo

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

On any apt-get or Software-Repository start I always have to enter the PW, however I have it set to remember the PW for the duration of my session that way I only have to enter it once. Maybe you have this set too?
I do have to type the admin pw every time I use the terminal though. So I'd say it's secure enough.

But if you're wanted "stability" like you said, you should go with Mint 13 Maya bc it's based off Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Long-Term Support), whereas 14 Nadia is 12.10 . Gives you the newer features but loses some of it's stability *in theory lol* :mrgreen:
Sunrise611

Post by Sunrise611 »

Thanks for the replies.

I have not used Mint at all so nothing has been "set". I have just been reading up on it so far and am eager to install and try it.

I guess I will stick with the older Maya version for its security. But what are some of the newer features that you like in the newest version (Nadia) that I would miss out on?
Last edited by Sunrise611 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

Here's a list of what's new in Nadia 14: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_nadia_whatsnew.php

I had Maya for the duration of it's time until Nadia came out (Linux is just a hobby for me so I don't mind doing fresh installs every release lol) and to be honest, there's nothing really "needed" in Nadia that Maya doesn't give you. I mean read over the list on the link I sent you and see for yourself but I've really noticed no difference. IMO it just depends on the person or what they use Linux for. If you are going to be doing work (programming, database, graphic design) I'd stick with the LTS releases like Mint 13 Maya (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS). If it's just for fun (web browsing, email, video streaming, casual gaming) then go with the newer versions. That's just my .02 :mrgreen:
Sunrise611

Post by Sunrise611 »

Thanks for the feedback!
Last edited by Sunrise611 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

No prob mate! Update me on what you decide :D
Sunrise611

Post by Sunrise611 »

EmpireITtech wrote:No prob mate! Update me on what you decide :D
I am installing this for my wife and she wanted Nadia so that won.
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

Sunrise611 wrote:I am installing this for my wife and she wanted Nadia so that won.
Hahaha, yes they usually get what they want don't they =]

Return to “Beginner Questions”