Mint 14 and Win 8 [HELP!]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Otter

Mint 14 and Win 8 [HELP!]

Post by Otter »

Goal: I want Mint 14 Cinnamon 64 bit on a USB that I can boot into and install if I want.
Problem: Glitchy screen, I don't know.

First I downloaded Mint 14 Cinnamon 32 bit to try this out on an older desktop. I downloaded the .iso and created a bootable USB with LinuxLiveUSB. It worked no problem.
I actually want this on a laptop so I then formatted the USB and installed the 64 bit version on it, again with LinuxLiveUSB. When I tried to boot the laptop from that nothing happened. I disabled secure boot in the UEFI and tried again. This time it started but the bar along the bottom of the screen (menu, volume, time, et cetera) was all blurry and the screen would glitch whenever I moved the pointer. It wasn't so bad as to be unusable, but it was still very annoying and very hard to use. I opened some programs (Firefox, LibreOffice) and they worked just fine without any glitchiness. I shut it down and went back to windows to format the USB again and try it with the 64 bit MATE .iso. I used LinuxLiveUSB again and booted from that. The bar along the bottom showed up fine, but the screen was still all glitchy. Thinking it may be because of a problem with LinuxLiveUSB, I downloaded unetbootin and went to try it with that. The USB drive wasn't listed and I eventually found out that LinuxLiveUSB had marked the drive as nonremovable so it didn't show up. I used bootit to flip the removable bit and it worked. Now that unetbootin worked, I made another 64 bit Cinnamon Bootable USB (same .iso file). When I booted from that I had the same problems as before. I have no idea what to do now.

Notes:
I have the .iso files for Cinnamon 32 bit and 64 bit downloaded, along with the .iso for 64 bit MATE, bootit, unetbootin, and LinuxLiveUSB. I downloaded all the .iso files from http://linuxfreedom.com/linuxmint/linux ... nload.html Could that be the problem? Bad .iso files? I don't want to go downloading more .iso files unless I know that's the problem because it takes nearly 4 hours to download an .iso file. Also, I used http to download them and not the ftp option. I don't know what either is so I didn't know which to pick. I'm new to all of this, so try to keep answers simple please.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Re: Mint 14 and Win 8 [HELP!]

Post by 3.14159 »

Why would you download it from any place other than here on linuxmint.com?

In any case, I'd strongly suggest getting the .ISOs from here and make sure you check the MD5 on the file(s) as well. It could very well be as simple as the files being tainted on that site you linked to.

If you try it and it works, welcome aboard. If it does not work, well, we can cross that bridge when we get to it.
Otter

Post by Otter »

That is one of the sites linked to from linuxmint.com under primary mirrors. The only things that want to download from the actual linuxmint.com site is release notes, announcement, and torrent. Do you mean one of these?

What is an MD5 and how do I check it?
Otter

Post by Otter »

I downloaded from another one of the primary mirrors and I'm having the same problem. Like I said, I don't know what an MD5 is or how to check it.
I'll see if I can upload some pictures or a video to help demonstrate the problem. I can't upload a video for a while. I'll have to wait until I can use the internet at school. It's hard to upload anything at 5KB/sec.
Otter

Post by Otter »

Video Link Here All I'm doing is moving the mouse up and down. It flashes and the screen is all glitchy.
Otter

Post by Otter »

Interesting fact, Xfce works fine but Cinnamon still won't work.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

let's try to clear this mess :D
i removed the other 2 duplicated topics, moved this to the place that i believe is the more appropriate.
please don't cross post, see the forum rules.

now regarding this problem, open a terminal and share the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -SGx
(you need to provide some info about the hardware so that others can help you)
Otter

Post by Otter »

Thanks! I'll have to wait a while to download the .iso again (I deleted it because I thought it was a bad copy). I'll tell you how it goes tomorrow.
Hardware wise it is a Toshiba Satellite C875D. Device manager screenshot: http://oi46.tinypic.com/icmn4j.jpg
I may not be that great with computers, but if there's any specific information you need about the hardware then tell me how to find it and I'll try my best.
Otter

Post by Otter »

This is what I get:

Code: Select all

mint@mint ~ $ inxi -SGx
System:    Host: mint Kernel: 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.7.2) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 14 Nadia
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device 9992 bus-ID: 00:01.0 
           X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1600x900@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD ARUBA GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
mint@mint ~ $ 

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”