wrong password and uninstall...plz help

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sor

wrong password and uninstall...plz help

Post by sor »

During processing of installing mint when asked to put a password or to continue without puting pw ,i couldnt press continue without putting a password(i dont know why,so i put a password...after reboot i tried to log in for the first time and offcourse ask me for the password...i put it and it said it was wrong,i`m sure i put the corect password.

Because i couldnt login mint i install it again and puting another password and still same problem.

What i must do now to log in?and if i want to unstall mint what i have to do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: wrong password and uninstall...plz help

Post by cwsnyder »

Your problem sounds like a classic case of not watching your caps lock and num lock indicators when you enter a password. The passwords in Linux are case-sensitive, that is, it distinguishes an a from an A. Since most password entry screens don't actually show you what you are typing, you, personally, have to ensure that the caps lock and num lock keys are in a known configuration and that you are not using the <Tab>, <Esc>, Windows key, Menu key, Print Screen key, Scroll Lock key, Pause/Break key, a cursor movement key, one of the function keys (F1 through F12 at the top of the keyboard), the backspace key, INS key, DEL key, Page Up or Page Down key as part of your password, as the actual keycode of these keys can vary depending on the program environment you are running.
sor

Post by sor »

i tried offcourse without caps lock ,i check also the language if it was wrong and i check many other things as you mention,i type the pw carefully but i still couldnt log in.Automatically there is an option that if you try 2-3 times for the password you can see what you are typing so next time appears dots again to write down the pw.

At least can you tell me how i uninstall them?i have install mint already twice and i want to install it again without a pw this time.
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

Read this article: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-res ... -password/

The article covers 2 methods to allow you to reset your user password, all you need to know is the exact username. BTW, your user name and password can't include any what is called white space (that is spaces, or tabs), nor can you use the % key without enclosing them in quote marks, which shows why you can't use quote marks. Basically, what you want is a combination of letters (lower or upper case) and numbers. Be very careful of using any non-alphanumeric character, as many are used specifically as program redirection commands in the BASH and other shells.
sor

Post by sor »

cwsnyder wrote:Read this article: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-res ... -password/

The article covers 2 methods to allow you to reset your user password, all you need to know is the exact username. BTW, your user name and password can't include any what is called white space (that is spaces, or tabs), nor can you use the % key without enclosing them in quote marks, which shows why you can't use quote marks. Basically, what you want is a combination of letters (lower or upper case) and numbers. Be very careful of using any non-alphanumeric character, as many are used specifically as program redirection commands in the BASH and other shells.

At during of installation of mint i was asked about a pw (when i had already put a pw for mint) and to choose linux mint or windows i didnt choose anything and i continue installation....anyway it is nessecery to put a pw during installation mint?i couldnt continue without put one.

Thanks for the link you gave me i search it a little bit later.

Return to “Beginner Questions”