Help with Video files from LAN NAS

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mcrs969

Help with Video files from LAN NAS

Post by mcrs969 »

Hi All,
I really hope in your help and comprehension; I'm not expert of Linux's world and I've thought more than once to uninstall it to go back to a worse, but easier, Microsoft OS; I'm sure I'm wrong but I have to say that sometimes becomes frustrating to look hours all around the web to find out how to install a network printer or how to watch tv from tv company website... anyway I could manage to configure the essential of my Linux Mint and my Linux Ubuntu PCs therefore I really hope you'll help me with this...
After looking at: google, yahoo, community ubuntu and this forum I could not find what I need, probably I don't really know how to look for it but:
how can I do to see a video from my NAS installed in my LAN? (I can access to the NAS and copy the files locally, but this is not good!)
details:
- I have a Netgear Stora which I have no problem in loggin in and I can browse various folders
- with video I mean formats like .avi, .mpeg, .flv ...
- I can't see them with kaffeine (when I say can't I mean that I have to copy them locally)
- I've installed vlc but I can't anyway (when I say can't I mean that I have to copy them locally)
- I've installed totem (read on some online guides that it could work) but what I could see is that totem just copies the file locally temporarily and then deletes it as soon as I close the video, this is not what I need.
- with Ubuntu on my desktop PC (while I've Mint 14 on my Acer Aspire One 751h) it works without problems, I didn't do anything.

I hope I've well described my situation, I apologize for my english but I hope it's understandable. I'm a disaster with terminal and commands therefore I have not posted any output since I don't know how to generate it.

I thank you once again and I'm looking forward to hearing from you
Michele
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mcrs969

Re: Help with Video files from LAN NAS

Post by mcrs969 »

please help! I can't believe anybody had the same problem! :D
mcrs969

Re: Help with Video files from LAN NAS

Post by mcrs969 »

up

Return to “Beginner Questions”