Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon 64bit UEFI dual boot with windows 8.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
matt28

Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon 64bit UEFI dual boot with windows 8.

Post by matt28 »

I've been searching for days on how to get Nadia to install and cannot get past Configuring Hardware. Ubiquity seems to be hanging at generating /boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-17-generic.

I'm trying to dual boot Windows 8 Pro 64 bit and Linux Mint 14 with UEFI.
I'm using a linux live usb and creating a 100GB unpartitioned space for windows and creating a swap and 100GB / partition for linux. I have also tried creating a 200MB /boot/efi partition and installing the bootloader there.

I boot the windows dvd UEFI and install onto the unpartitioned space of 100GB.
I restart the computer and boot the UEFI linux mint usb and run ubiquity and select something else to install on previously created partition.
Ubiquity runs until it gets to 66% and stops at generating /boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-17-generic.
I've tried updating ubiquity.
I've tried installing not in UEFI usb and it stops at the same place.
I've tried a few other things that I have found on google such as turning off the graphical part of the installer and some other things that I can't remember.

I can remove the drive from the computer and install it in a computer that has the msdos bios firmware and install linux mint on the complete drive that way with no problems, and I can remove the drive and run mint in the original computer.. but I still can't setup the dual boot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm fairly new to linux so if you could describe in detail it would be a great help. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
yrrchsebor

Re: Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon 64bit UEFI dual boot with windows

Post by yrrchsebor »

nevermind, i just reread your post..
matt28

Post by matt28 »

I decided to remove my Nvidia graphics card and use the onboard gpu to try the install and it worked with no problems.
Ran boot-repair and now I have a working dual boot Linux Mint 64bit and windows 8 64bit with UEFI and GPT.
Thanks for the help.
alnasique

Post by alnasique »

Can you please explain how did you managed to boot linux mint in UEFI-mode from flash, how you created the boot flash. I tried booting from UEFI-CDROM both cinammon and XFCE with no luck. and I did not see any boot option for UFI-usb etc. I only have option boot from UEFI-file also does not work for me.
Thanx

Return to “Installation & Boot”