Unofficial Linux Mint LXDE 13 RC1 released!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mati75

Unofficial Linux Mint LXDE 13 RC1 released!

Post by mati75 »

Hello everybody!
My name is Mateusz Łukasik and I staff and administator Polish and center Europe Linux Mint support. A few weeks ago we are starting with new project name Unofficial Linux Mint LXDE and today I will present you our work. It is unofficial version of Linux Mint, because main version with lxde environment was dropped.

This version is based on Linux Mint 13 Xfce 32 bit and have codename KH (kolorowy hipopotam). First release candidate have included the latest components lxde which are avaitable in my ppa repository. For polish users is included polish languages packs. You must set on start menu your language.

Known issue:
  • - poorly visible parts system installer
    - desktop effect doesn't start automatically

How to fix desktop effect issue:

Code: Select all

cp /etc/xdg/compton.conf $HOME/.compton.conf
or after system updates:

cp /etc/skel/.compton.conf $HOME/.compton.conf
Logout and login and it will working if your graphics card have run 3D drivers.

System requirements:
  • - x86 processor (Linux Mint 64-bit requires a 64-bit processor. Linux Mint 32-bit works on both 32-bit and 64-bit processors).
    - 384 MB RAM (1GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
    - 5 GB of disk space
    - Graphics card capable of 800×600 resolution
    - CD/DVD drive or USB port
Screenshots:

Image Image Image

Download:

md5sum:

3beafb3ff63f0d53cd2011eeecac31fb  unofficial-linuxmint-13-lxde-32bit-rc1.iso
Download links (807 MB): Take care!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cpatrick08

Re: Unofficial Linux Mint LXDE 13 RC1 released!

Post by cpatrick08 »

mati75 wrote:Hello everybody!
My name is Mateusz Łukasik and I staff and administator Polish and center Europe Linux Mint support. A few weeks ago we are starting with new project name Unofficial Linux Mint LXDE and today I will present you our work. It is unofficial version of Linux Mint, because main version with lxde environment was dropped.

This version is based on Linux Mint 13 Xfce 32 bit and have codename KH (kolorowy hipopotam). First release candidate have included the latest components lxde which are avaitable in my ppa repository. For polish users is included polish languages packs. You must set on start menu your language.

Known issue:
  • - poorly visible parts system installer
    - desktop effect doesn't start automatically
How to fix desktop effect issue:

cp /etc/xdg/compton.conf $HOME/.compton.conf
Logout and login and it will working if your graphics card have run 3D drivers.

System requirements:
  • - x86 processor (Linux Mint 64-bit requires a 64-bit processor. Linux Mint 32-bit works on both 32-bit and 64-bit processors).
    - 384 MB RAM (1GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
    - 5 GB of disk space
    - Graphics card capable of 800×600 resolution
    - CD/DVD drive or USB port
Screenshots:

Image Image Image

Download:

md5sum:

3beafb3ff63f0d53cd2011eeecac31fb  unofficial-linuxmint-13-lxde-32bit-rc1.iso
Download links (807 MB): Take care!
I was wondering if you would be making a 64 bit version soon or ever
Last edited by cpatrick08 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Great, the Mint 13 LXDE edition was missed by some!

I tested your RC1 release in Virtualbox, here is some feedback from my first day with your RC1:

- The autologin option in the installer doesn't work. Didn't test the "Encrypt my home folder" option.

- In the Live boot menu your Mint title is to long. Try something shorter like "Welcome to Mint 13 LXDE RC1 U*" if you are only going to make the 32bit version.

- I like and use my desktop with dark colours and don't like the bright Mint 13 XFCE theme but the default theme provided is low contrast in some situations and uses very bright green. Older Mint editions have good dark themes.

- The installer requires 5.0GB of disk space but about 3.5GB + SWAP should be enough. It's possible to fool the installer by using a USB pen, USB disk or a memory card (if computer has card reader).

- The installer works well with 384MB of RAM. It's slower with less but works fine with 256MB, that's great!

- The ISO is about the same size as Mint 13 Cinnamon and Mint 13 XFCE. I expected the LXDE version to be smaller. Maybe small enough to burn to a CD (700MB). Do you consider to make a CD version?

- Liked to see Links 2 as an alternative browser. Wouldn't mind to see more LnF software installed.
ausmuso

Post by ausmuso »

Great news, Mati75, keep up the good work!
Haven't had time to look at it yet, not only because my cat just broke its leg but also because I'm flat out with a project of my own i.e. starting with Schoelje's unofficial LMDE XFCE UP6 and replacing the XFCE desktop with LMDE. So far so good. It's fast, hasn't crashed yet and looks good.
LXDE is such a great desktop. The more support we can give it the better!
ljonesj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ljonesj »

this great have this on a 2.2 p4 with 768 mb of ram and it flies glad to get more use out of this computer
Hawimm

Post by Hawimm »

dear developer,

thank you very much, this relase save my life. This is the best choise for gma500 devices with modification:

http://www.fit-pc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=2991

please maintain :)
JWJones

Post by JWJones »

Very nice, thanks for this release! I am still running Linux Mint 12 LXDE on a machine, one of my favorite releases ever. Works great on older hardware. As cpatrick08 said, do you plan on a 64-bit edition?
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Estimate: First, my most sincerest congratulations again create an edition of Linux Mint with LXDE. Really, the last four editions of Linux Mint with LXDE were really excellent, especially the last 2, the 11 and the 12 which worked really well on my computer..... Great editions !!!!

I agree with the question you did other partners: Will there be any chance of seeing a version of Linux Mint LXDE 64 bit ???? We hope so !!!! Greetings.-
daison
Level 1
Level 1

Post by daison »

Good job, Mateusz, but I have a problem. After I installed it on a wifes old box, I made two users my wife and my son, restored backuped data from mint 12 lxde installation, but I can not log in to here and his accounts with passwords I defined. Spec's are:
Processor
Name AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Family, model, stepping 6, 8, 1 (AMD Athlon XP/MP (Thoroughbred))
Vendor AuthenticAMD
Configuration
Cache Size 256kb
Frequency 1994.41MHz
BogoMIPS 3988.81
Byte Order Little Endian

Memory
Total Memory 1543732 kB
Free Memory 900100 kB

PCI Devices
Host bridge VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8366/A/7 [Apollo KT266/A/333]
PCI bridge VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8366/A/7 [Apollo KT266/A/333 AGP] (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Ethernet controller Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
USB controller VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
USB controller VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
USB controller VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
ISA bridge VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge
IDE interface VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
Multimedia audio controller VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
VGA compatible controller NVIDIA Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev b2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
daison
Level 1
Level 1

Post by daison »

Ah, never mind. I fixed it by myself. Just removed some hidden files from /home/<users>. Those were restored there also, but conflicted with youre edition.

Return to “Software & Applications”