Windows 7 can't connect to internet, but Linux Mint can?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DesertFoxSniper

Windows 7 can't connect to internet, but Linux Mint can?

Post by DesertFoxSniper »

Hey, I recently installed W7 because my old hard drive failed, I also tried to install Vista from a disk, and in both W7 and Vista, network drivers were no where to be found. However, I had a Mint disk, so I installed that alongside W7, and Mint can find my network, yet W7 says the network drivers aren't installed... I would love to hear an answer, because Linux Mint isn't really the thing for me. :P Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
robw

Re: Windows 7 can't connect to internet, but Linux Mint can?

Post by robw »

Its because Windows and Linux are using separate drivers. The ones Linux use are included in the installation - they're part of the Kernel which Linux uses. Windows uses eithr its own drivers or needs proprietary ones. That's one of the beauties of linux - because it has less of an industrial support base, loads of folks round the world have written their own stuff and, when accepted, its incorporated into the kernel. Voila! A whole load of stuff just works. Why is Linux not for you if, as in this case, it does the business where Windows wouldn't?
DesertFoxSniper

Post by DesertFoxSniper »

Ah, I see, I'm mainly a gamer, and Linux isn't really the best option for gaming, so that's why I don't really enjoy it as much.
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

Steam is now on Linux. Do you really need anything more than TF2? :lol:
Your best bet is to find the Windows drivers while you're booted into Mint, and save them somewhere on your Windows partition. then reboot and install the drivers in Windows. Not the first time I've used Linux to fix a Windows screw up.
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

Return to “Beginner Questions”