Windows not showing up in grub menu

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hosa

Windows not showing up in grub menu

Post by hosa »

I installed windows after Mint and i was able to restore grub, so now Mint boots normally but when i press esc at boot for the grub menu windows is not listed..
followiing a guide online i put

Code: Select all

title Windows XP 
root (hd0,1) 
makeactive 
chainloader +1
in the grub.cfg file, tried again and it didnt work.

thank you,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: Windows not showing up in grub menu

Post by bigj231 »

You don't edit the grub.cfg file anymore. You're on grub2 now. Use the update-grub command instead.

sudo update-grub
hosa

Re: Windows not showing up in grub menu

Post by hosa »

bigj231 wrote:You don't edit the grub.cfg file anymore. You're on grub2 now. Use the update-grub command instead.

sudo update-grub
thank you, it looks like it detected windows xp after the update. problem solved. strange, all the tutorials online are old .

Return to “Beginner Questions”