Is Cinnamon "start menu" executing each time I call it?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AAAAH!ERMAGAWD!HELP!

Is Cinnamon "start menu" executing each time I call it?

Post by AAAAH!ERMAGAWD!HELP! »

I get the impression that the program that runs the main application menu in cinnamon actually executes each time it's opened, due to a second long delay. Can anyone confirm this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
teilnehmer

AW: Is Cinnamon "start menu" executing each time I call it?

Post by teilnehmer »

I believe that is a known complaint. For some people, only the first call is with notable latency (it is that way for me), but some people report arbitrary wait times, independent of CPU load.

As far as I know there is no workaround yet that works reliably.
AAAAH!ERMAGAWD!HELP!

Re: Is Cinnamon "start menu" executing each time I call it?

Post by AAAAH!ERMAGAWD!HELP! »

I have read around and found some people think it's theme related. That doesn't seem likely.

It's evident that the lag is not theme based based on a simple test. Minimizing, unminizing, and other menus open instantly while using the same effects and/or theme. I think that rules out the theme being the issue.

The other possibility is the read-speed of the hard drive when it executes the program. That means the work around would be to keep the menu app running in the background! That's probably really easy to do since it's a python app.

Return to “Cinnamon”