How can I bring up the terminal when the xserver is stopped?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
medlabdude

How can I bring up the terminal when the xserver is stopped?

Post by medlabdude »

I'm trying to resolve an issue related to the following error in Mint 13 xfce.

"no running instance of xfce4-panel has been found."

I've found suggestions to clear the ~/.cache/sessions/xf* files and some other .config files. It's my understanding that I need to stop the xserver and use the terminal to delete the files. I'm able to stop the xserver by using cntl, alt, f1. I expected to drop to a terminal but the screen is blank. How can I bring up the terminal, or is there a preferred way other than using cntl, alt, f1?

Thanks,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: How can I bring up the terminal when the xserver is stop

Post by DrHu »

You stop the X-server and run as root in order to repair an installation
--you can do this by running recovery mode from your grub menu or you could insert the live CD and boot the system

At which point I would use apt and reinstall the xcfe-panel..
--if you get that message about no xfce-panel is running and the desktop does not load
--if you haven't sone anything with the system yet, I would refresh it completely (a reinstall) to get a clean install

Your actual problem is not clear to me:
  • Is it a desktop error on boot ?
  • Have you tried to change an xfce setting or added a plugin to the panel (xfce-panel)
  • Is it something else
    --when you searched to find a fix, what were you trying to fix ?
medlabdude

Post by medlabdude »

The problem, "no running instance of xfce4-panel has been found," is a message a friend of mine gets once he logs on his computer. The message appears with the option to cancel or execute. I imagine it is due to an inadvertent action on his part. He would not have been trying to change an xfce setting or add a plugin to the panel.

The error does not appear on his wife's user account. I installed Mint for him a few months ago and he only recently began to see the message. I've found a number of posts related to this issue that appear to have been solved by deleting some the .cashe/sessions files.

I've attempted to delete them in the gui but to no avail. And stopping the x-server left me with a blank screen. I thought about accessing the files using a live cd. I'm not familiar with running in recovery mode from your grub menu.
medlabdude

Post by medlabdude »

I take that back. I know what you're talking about. I'm not seeing the grub menu on boot however. I'll check the grub file contents and go from there.
thanks...
medlabdude

Post by medlabdude »

I was able to boot to a live cd to do what I needed to do. Thanks for the help.

Return to “Beginner Questions”