LMDE 201303 RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

LMDE 201303 RC released!

Post by clem »

0xnak

Re: LMDE 201303 RC released!

Post by 0xnak »

I found a weird issue regarding using specials characters in passwords: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&t=126418

In short, and I've only tested this with the | and ! characters (pipe and bang), if you use one of those in a password during the install, it breaks the post install reboot process and after a manual reboot, you cannont log into the system. Also, if you use a plain password on install and change it to one with special characters later, it will not affect reboot/login, but it does break Software Manager (mintinstall) as it seems to not recognize special characters. Although other things like synaptic are fine with it. As far as I can tell, this is not an upstream issue and this was not a problem with the UP5 ISOs. Any ideas?

Bug entered here: https://github.com/linuxmint/community. ... issues/132
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I've taken screenshots while installing LMDE 2013 RC Cinnamon 32-bit in VirtualBox. So enjoy a sneak peak at this release with Cinnamon :D

- First boot and installation preparation: http://imgur.com/a/OjUn1. I've included a screenshot of the manual partitioning step, though I completed the installation with automatic partitioning.

- Installation slideshow and reboot: http://imgur.com/a/VpKbO. VirtualBox integration isn't preloaded from the RC (already noted on the blog by another user), and I didn't install it, but in the last few shots you can see Cinnamon seems to works fine without access to 3D hardware (at least on my, erm, virtual hardware).

- After installation: http://imgur.com/a/ZSTuc. And not to forget the awesome new Device Driver Manager (DDM): http://imgur.com/1EHhtFL.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Mamma mia :D :D :D This Linux Mint is going wild overtaking every other OS. It has gone miles ahead! :D :DBut still I don't like that splash screen: It's black dull and macabric and has nothing to do with Linux Mint. It gives a bad impression about Mint. We want something bright and positive!aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah :D
We want a mint leaf or something tasty. I have installed Mint on my school's PCs and everyone is going nuts 'bout it. In a word Mint rocks. Thanks Clem and all Mint team :D :D :D
Last edited by Brahim Salem on Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Thanks Clem! The 32 bit Cinnamon and MATE worked well for me.
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Dear: Actually, I have seen pictures of this RC and really paint very well. Unfortunately, these days I'm having too much time then I will not to download these RC, I'll waiting for the final release comes out, I do not doubt it will be excellent ..... Linux Mint Debian Edition still lives and fights !!!!

Yes, I would like to Clem is decided once and for for all and take out a Linux Mint Debian Edition with KDE and XFCE. Clem It would be wonderful to consider this. Meanwhile, there are the unofficial versions..... Thanks Clem !!!! Greetings.-
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

The issue with insufficient fonts filtering/hinting/antialiasing is still present in this release. I cannot know if it will be addressed in the final release, but for now, if you'll find the fonts aren't looking too good, take a look at the script here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 89#p630351
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Monsta wrote:The issue with insufficient fonts filtering/hinting/antialiasing is still present in this release. I cannot know if it will be addressed in the final release, but for now, if you'll find the fonts aren't looking too good, take a look at the script here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 89#p630351
I agree the fonts do not look great in the Cinnamon release. In the past I have replaced the debian font config files with Ubuntu font config files for excellent font rendering. I wonder why this can't be done by default in new releases? Would future debian updates automatically remove Ubuntu font config files?
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

I've wanted to try LMDE on a HDD install for a long time, but it never quite worked with the recently "deceased" MacBook or with the iMac. :( Now, with a new laptop, I've installed LMDE 201303 RC Cinnamon 64-bit. The install was quick; it boots very quickly; and I've experienced no major problems since installing. I have noticed the following issues, some of which others also have pointed out on different threads:

1.) System freeze: I only experienced one freeze while setting up apps and tweaking: too much multitasking?

2.) Printer set-up: The app didn't work for me, but it also didn't work well with LM Nadia either. FWIW, it worked "out of the box" with Debian-based CrunchBang . As it is, I prefer to install my printers with Unix Printing System (127.0.0.1:631), which always finds the printers and the drivers.

3.) Chromium: In LMDE, doesn't sync well with Chrome/Chromium on the iMac. A message notes that the others are newer versions, so I have to remove and reinstall the sync option each time. I've removed Chrome via Synaptic and also deleted it in other folders, but it still appears in the menu but doesn't load. I also installed Chrome as a test, but it doesn't appear at all in the menu. Fortunately, there is Firefox and Opera.

4.) Fonts: They don't seem as crisp as in LM Nadia Cinnamon--especially serif fonts--but I've seen worse with other distros.

5.) Software Manager vs. Synaptic Package Manager: If you're relying on Debian repositories, do you really need both? While trying to resolve the issues with Chromium and Chrome, I tried both but Software Manager seemed buggy and would not open Chromium to install it. Moreover, perhaps I'm wrong about this, but it seems that CrunchBang, for example, has more up-to-date ppas when I installed software in Synaptic.

Overall, I like LMDE Cinnamon and think the LMDE team has done a great job with it. I look forward the the stable version and will stick with 201303 RC in the interim. :D
trueknight

Post by trueknight »

I'm in rapture of LMDE Mate x64 edition! I haven't yet faced with any difficulties to install software or use this OS =)
I'm very content.
Many thanks to developers, contributors, designers and others who put his hands and minds into this distribution!
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

3fRI wrote:..... I also installed Chrome as a test, but it doesn't appear at all in the menu. Fortunately, there is Firefox and Opera.
That's a flaw with Chrome Browser and Debian.

You can add Chrome to the Menu manually. Right click on the Menu on the left of the panel, a small window pop's up, click on Edit Menu. This will give you access to another window called Main Menu.
Go to Internet in the left pane of that window, click on the New Item tab. Where Name is you can type Chrome or Chrome Browser, what you prefer. Where Command is you type google-chrome, this will automatic show the icon for Chrome. Comment you can leave blank or you can type whatever you like, Web Browser, Chrome Web Browser or something like that. Then click OK. Reload Cinnamon or Log out and back in again if it still doesn't show up.

It works on my end. :)
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vinoman »

Thank you! I installed Google Chrome and was able to then sign in and sync up with my bookmarks and settings. :)

Return to “Releases & Announcements”