[SOLVED] Removing an application installed from tar

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rodvil

[SOLVED] Removing an application installed from tar

Post by rodvil »

Hello. I'm new to mint (14 Cinnamon) but I have been for some years on Linux, however I still feel many times as a newbie!

I need some help, I installed the game Shank 2 from the tgz file from the humble bundle and now I have no idea how to remove it from my system.
Any help would be welcome.
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Removing an application installed from tar

Post by xenopeek »

If you installed the game to your home folder somewhere, there is usually an executable script in the root folder of the game to "remove" or "uninstall" or something. If it was installed to you home folder, all you need to do is run that script to remove entries from your menu and then you can delete the folder.

If the game was installed to a system folder, and not your home folder, you would open Software Manager, search for Shank, and remove it from there.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

You would have to remove the installed directory file locations: contents
--you can check the original tar file to see its directories, or perhaps use the file manager and check it with that (fileroller is set to unarchive various file formats..)

Check the tar command options/parameters..
http://linux.die.net/man/1/tar
rodvil

Post by rodvil »

Thanks for the help.
I don't think it added any entries to the menu and I can't find any script at the root folder of the game, just the .tar, the release notes and a .xpm.

Would it be ok, if I just delete all the game files?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You can do that, if it is in your home folder. Entries in your menu would be in the Games category, but you could always delete these manually also so no big concern.
rodvil

Post by rodvil »

Yep, its in my home folder. thanks for the help.

Return to “Beginner Questions”