Possible to install Mint 14 Xfce on Ubuntu 'minimal' ??

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WorBry

Possible to install Mint 14 Xfce on Ubuntu 'minimal' ??

Post by WorBry »

Hi,

I'm new to linux and am trying out different distros.

Whilst I would like to run Mint 14 Cinnamon, it would seem that my PC is not up to it. Can't even run the trial from the 'live' CD iso (or off USB stick) - the desktop loads but as soon as I try to open anything the screen freezes followed by a series of 'failed to idle this and that channel'. Not sure if it's purely RAM insufficiency or other incompatibilities. Ubuntu 12.10 doesn't even get as far as log-on before freezing up.

Now I can run Lubuntu 12.10, Xubuntu 12.10 and Mint 14 Xfce from 'Live' CD/USB. Problem is that when I try and install from the same, the installation always stalls at the point of configuring hardware; exactly why, again, I'm not sure. I've tried installing on internal hard-drive, external USB hardrive and USB flash drives, all with the same result.

The only thing that works is to install the 'minimal' ubuntu system (from minimal CD) first. This then gives a log-in with command line prompt to install the desktop. Works perfectly for Lubuntu and Xubuntu.

My question is - is there any way to install Mint 14 Xfce on top of the 'minimal' ubuntu system or otherwise by a method other than 'live' CD installation? I've come across articles describing how to put a Mint menu on Xubuntu, but is that really the same as a 'bone fide' Mint 14 Xfce desktop?? Plus, the methods described refer to older distro versions.

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I'm reading the Forum rules message as I write telling me that this is the right place to post stupid questions.

My PC set-up is:

Motherboard: MSI (Via) KT4AV
CPU: Athlon AMD XP2800+ (2.09GHz, 166MHz FSB) - does support PAE.
RAM: 2 x 512MB DDR-400 (PC-3200) set to 166MHz bus. Will be upgrading to 2GB next week.
GPU: nVidia GeForce FX5200 128MB (on AGP with 256MB aperture) Yes, good old nVidia.

Cheers.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Possible to install Mint 14 Xfce on Ubuntu 'minimal' ??

Post by catweazel »

WorBry wrote:Motherboard: MSI (Via) KT4AV
CPU: Athlon AMD XP2800+ (2.09GHz, 166MHz FSB) - does support PAE.
RAM: 2 x 512MB DDR-400 (PC-3200) set to 166MHz bus. Will be upgrading to 2GB next week.
GPU: nVidia GeForce FX5200 128MB (on AGP with 256MB aperture) Yes, good old nVidia.
Give Mint 13 Xfce a try instead of trying to mix desktop environments.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
WorBry

Post by WorBry »

OK, thanks - I'd just wondered, since Mint is 'based' on Ubuntu, if there might be a way. But, clearly not.

Well I'll give Mint 13 Xfce a try then. I assume you are referring to installing off the ISO CD? It will be interesting to see if it gets through this stall that seems to occur at the point of hardware configuration; at least that was the case with the Lubuntu installation where it shows each stage of the process. With the Mint 14 Xfce, it appeared to start installing but then the little timer just cycled indefinitely.

I might add that one reason I am trying different distros is to see whether any of them actually work (in Firefox) with the latest and last Adobe Flash plugin (11.2); YouTube videos being the test. With both Lubuntu and Xubuntu it crashes in Firefox, Chromium and Opera. And that's not just my PC (nVidia GPU or whatever) as I tested them also on another PC (Dell Dimension 3100 - all Intel - P4 3GHz, 2GB DDR2 RAM) with the same result. Interestingly, Mint 14 Cinnamon installed perfectly on that PC and the 11.2 Adobe plugin seemed to be working without any issues in Firefox. On my PC the only way to make it work with Lubuntu or Xubuntu is to downgrade the Adobe Flash plugin back to version 11.1, or else stream to VLC player.

So what is it in Cinnamon that is so different?

I am anyway planning next week to upgrade the RAM on my old PC from 1GB to 2GB and obviously then I'll have a go at installing Mint 14 Cinnamon again. Other than that there's no scope to upgrade the CPU, and if the problems are nVidia related, the options for GPU card upgrade are very limited (ancient AGP slot only, no PCI-E).

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

WorBry wrote:OK, thanks - I'd just wondered, since Mint is 'based' on Ubuntu, if there might be a way. But, clearly not.
It can be done, but if you need to ask the question then you're only going to get yourself into a lot of strife.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
joemartin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joemartin »

Did you try Mate? XFCE will do what your asking but I'll bet Mate will as well.
WorBry

Post by WorBry »

OK, I've tried Mint 14 Mate and Mint 13 Xfce. Both load into 'Live' from the ISO CD. As I expected Mint 14 Mate is rather slow, but at least it does not freeze-up as Cinnamon does.

But when it comes to installing from the ISO CD, both hit the same wall as all the linux distros that I've tried. The set-up (user config etc) and copying over of files proceeds OK, but within a few seconds of 'installing' the installation window disappears and the timer idles indefinitely. I've tried installing with peripherals (printer, webcam) disconnected, but no change. So, what is the problem? Memory out-of-bounds, graphics driver issue? I dunno. All I know is that when I used the Ubuntu 'minimal CD' installation it completed without any problems and allowed Lubuntu and Xubuntu to be installed on top.

Hence the reason why I'm asking if there is an equivalent or alternative method for installing Mint distros?

Well, if RAM is the issue, I'll see if upgrading to 2GB makes a difference.
WorBry

Post by WorBry »

Whilst waiting on my RAM upgrade modules, I've been searching for solutions to this 'installation hang' issue. Seems many have trodden this path before, not only with Mint 14, but earlier versions.

One factor, at least, is the Ubiquity Slide Slow that appears after the user configurations have been set and plays while the system installs. Appears that with some PC's (mine included) this places too great a demand on resources and prevents installation from proceeding.

So, whilst in the 'live' CD environment (Mint 14 Xfce), I removed the slide show before clicking the Install icon

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove ubiquity-slideshow-mint 
I then let all the files copy over before commencing with the user set-up (location, keyboard, user/PW etc). Also disconnected my webcam to avoid that option popping-up. Low and behold, the installation proceeded to completion.

Still think the availability of a Mint equivalent of the Ubuntu 'Minimal' CD would be a good idea though, as would be giving an option to disable the slide show in the installation from 'Live' CD/USB. Seems a bit pointless anyway, when you are given opportunity to trial the system before installing.

Return to “Beginner Questions”