Don't download unnecessary language packs

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Don't download unnecessary language packs

Post by catweazel »

I'm doing a reinstall of Mint 14 Cinnamon and had to sit here smoking a pipe for a full 45 minutes while the installer downloaded language packs over the clagged out hinternet.

Surely the downlload could be greatly minimised by asking the user if they want additional language packs.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Orbmiser

Re: Don't download unnecessary language packs

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep pissed me off the first time also as only on a 1mb wifi connection.
Someone mentioned to turn off internet while doing the install to bypass that need?
Don't know tho how it's different if then when turning on the internet after installation.
Then still gets those jammed down our throat.

Can anybody Chime In and explain Why in the hell do we need to waste time & bandwidth for languages we will never need?
Or how to disable it?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I've looked into that in depth for another user; the language packs that are being downloaded are for your selected language only. I traced which files were being downloaded during installation (with sudo ngrep "POST" tcp and port 80), and indeed only language packs for your desktop environment, Firefox, Thunderbird, and such, are being downloaded. And only for one language. The total size of that is a few megabytes. Which however does mean that if the language packs for all 80 or so languages would be included on the ISO, the ISO would be a few hundred megabytes larger. So the balance here is; download a few megabytes during installation, or download hundreds of extra megabytes for getting the ISO?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

xenopeek wrote:the language packs that are being downloaded are for your selected language only.
Thanks for the info. The server must've been hit hard because it was woefully slow.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I've seen the same, but I haven't found out what exactly it is doing that causes the language pack download action to take so long. It is really only downloading a few megabytes and if I recall correctly about 12 or so files.
jcdonelson

Post by jcdonelson »

Really? It takes 6 minutes to download "a few megabytes"? I don't think so.
Please add an option to skip the language packs.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”