Request .SIG Help (Condensing It)

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Request .SIG Help (Condensing It)

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Hello fellow Mintopians,

I have interacted on computer-support web-forums a time or two in the past, and I was told to include as much information about my computer as possible in my posts and that an excellent way to do so was to add that information to my .SIG.

I have two computers, both (unfortunately) somewhat old and likely to require intelligent assistance in the future. The laptop is dated, the desktop is even older. Earlier this evening (yesterday, I suppose; I need to turn in before the sun comes up) I read about using inxi -Fc 0 to get general information about my computer specifications and sudo dmidecode --type 17 to get information about its memory, so I decided to create a .SIG here. I added most of what I thought might be relevant from the output of those two commands, thinking to add my desktop's information tomorrow. Then I clicked on the preview button to see how it looked and whether or not I thought of any more information that I should add to it. I received a notice that my .SIG was too large at 833 bytes because the maximum allowable is much lower (255?). And that is just for the laptop's specifications.

Would someone please take a look at what I have so far and help me condense it enough that I may use it for my .SIG? I am really unsure what information I need to keep and what I can safely drop while still providing people with the specs I need to.

Here is what I had when I tried to preview it:

Laptop: Hewlett-Packard Pavilion dv6000 Rev 1 (HP dv6226us)
Mobo: Quanta model 30BB version 66.36
Bios: Hewlett-Packard version F.13 01/02/2007
Dual core Intel CPU T2250 (-MCP-) 800 mHz - 1.73 gHz
2x 512meg 533mHz DDR2 RAM
Graphics: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express Integrated (Joke) Graphics
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) 1280x800@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GM x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 9.0
Audio: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.25
Ethernet: Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection driver: e100
Wireless: Broadcom BCM4311 (rev 01!) 802.11b/g WLAN driver: b43-pci-bridge
Kernel (02/24/2013): 3.5.0-17-generic i686 (32 bit)

I was going to add some more information about the software (like the kernel version that I listed, OS component version numbers I guess you'd call them - but I suppose I could just include a line that stated something like "All OS components believed to be current?" Like I stated above, I am not sure what I should include and what I may safely leave out. I almost never use my Ethernet port - and it has never given me a single issue <knocks on wood> anyway, so I believe that could be dropped without hurting anything, but after that I am lost.

As always, thanks in advance,
MDM
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Request .SIG Help (Condensing It)

Post by xenopeek »

What might work better, is including in your sig only the name and specific model of your laptop, and include a link to your "inxi output". Run the following command to get details about your machine:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fz
Post that on http://pastebin.com, for example, and included that link in your sig.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

What is Pastebin? We call trash cans bins, so by its name it doesn't sound very encouraging. Also, I just clicked that link and the first thing I saw was a Google icon and a Facebook one. So I find myself asking, is it part of those two entities' attempt to get us all to roll over on our backs and present our bellies, our throats, our privacy, and our dignity for their dinner pleasure? I tell you, it ought to be perfectly legal for us to walk around completely naked in public, since other than that odd-looking mole on my inner thigh, they've already made sure to examine everything else.

I really don't like visiting a lot of web sites and sign up at even fewer, but if you really think it is necessary and if you can assure me that no information that I either post there or must use in order to create an account there would ever be used for any reason by anyone besides myself either now or in the future, and can convince me that it is so, then I will consider posting there.

Thanks,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Pastebin is commonly used for keeping a longer piece of text, or temporarily hold, for example, the long output of some command so as to not clutter your post with it. Most websites have social media integration, so I'm sure what you are going on about. You don't need to sign up for an account to use this website. There are various alternatives, like http://dpaste.com/ which we now recommend for use on the IRC, but that holds text not indefinitely. Pastebin can, and we generally recommend to use it here on the forums.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Okay, that sounds harmless - helpful, even. :D

And I see (via the handy Flagfox add-on in Firefox) that its server is located in Arlington Heights (Chicago), IL, USoA and not in one of the areas of the world where I hear so much Internet scamming happens. I suppose it happens to some extent everywhere, but its location in a supposedly free country and your reassurances have convinced me.

I will figure out how to use it some time this week and then do so.

Thanks again for all your help,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”