[not sure if right froum]Steam openGl error.

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
da12me91

[not sure if right froum]Steam openGl error.

Post by da12me91 »

Trying to play tf2, just finished downloading on steam. I try to launch it and get this error "could not find requies OpenGL enty poing 'glGetError'! ether your video card is un supported or your openGL driver needs to be updated." I'm using a 7950, I figured I need to get new drivers since I'm fairly sure the newest sereis of cards is supported but I downloaded them and its a zip file, no idea how to install/uses that on mint. Plus I figured it could be something else so best to ask for help right?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bad Boy Bubby

Re: [not sure if right froum]Steam openGl error.

Post by Bad Boy Bubby »

Hi

I had the same issue trying to play CSS.

I got the latest driver from AMD here http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/l ... ng=English and installed it but then got the error so I removed it using this command

I changed to the usr/share/ati folder and opened a terminal there and ran

sudo sh amd-uninstall.sh

reboot

then I went to menu > preference > software sources - additional drivers tab and selected - video driver AMD fglrx-updates and activated that driver -- this I think install something missing from AMD's driver above

reboot

then go back menu > preference > software sources - additional drivers and changed back to - using xorg xserver.

reboot

reinstall AMD driver from AMD 's website above. This worked for me. Except for one slight problem game launches but black/blank screen either set it to -windowed launch option within steam or once the game has launched press

ctrl+alt+f1 and then alt+f8 this switches out to console and back redraws the opengl screen I think and the picture comes back :D

Goodluck

Bubby

ps im running Linux Mint Cinnamon 64 bit version oh and game performance is excellent

Return to “Gaming”