Unable to boot in usb/live mode

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bliqzing

Unable to boot in usb/live mode

Post by bliqzing »

Short Description:
New pc, custom build.
Install windows in a new unformatted HDD. Two partitions created automatically one (100MB) for system purposes and another one (150GB)for the OS.
Almost 800 GB of free unallocated space left.
So far so good.
Created a mint14 cinammon 64 bootable usb using unetbootin, dd command. linux live usb creator (all three methods tested).
Nothing works. Never succeeded to log in live mode.
UEFI mode for starting usb: FAIL!
normal mode for starting usb: FAIL!
failsafemode: FAIL!
Burn to RWDVD: FAIL!

Any help much appreciated!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Unable to boot in usb/live mode

Post by powerhouse »

Does Windows boot using UEFI? You can check the BIOS settings if the motherboard is set to boot UEFI. If yes, change it to legacy/BIOS.

If you do want or need to use UEFI, your USB stick must be prepared to be UEFI bootable. It must have a /efi directory that uses FAT16. I don't remember the exact procedure and tools, but searching this forum or googling for UEFI USB ... should help. Make sure the USB stick has the boot or bootable flag selected.

While it shouldn't matter, try booting on a USB-2 port (i.e. not a USB-3 port).

Then when booting, select the boot manager (often using F8) and select either UEFI:name_of_USB_drive or name_of_USB_drive depending on whether you want UEFI boot or regular boot.

Can you describe how far you get into the boot process? Do you get a grub menu? Try pressing the left Shift key while booting from USB stick.
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
bliqzing

Post by bliqzing »

Does Windows boot using UEFI? You can check the BIOS settings if the motherboard is set to boot UEFI. If yes, change it to legacy/BIOS.
I don't know if Windows is using UEFI and can't find a way to tell (what i googled so far doesn't work!).
Didn't take any special steps just following the normal "winz" installation procedure
Cannot find such an option as legacy or something similar in my mobo.
Then when booting, select the boot manager (often using F8) and select either UEFI:name_of_USB_drive or name_of_USB_drive depending on whether you want UEFI boot or regular boot.
tried this already but nothing worked (both in USB-2 and USB-3 ports)
The compatibility mode reaches at this point: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5322144/IMGP0008.JPG and then it freezes.
(this happens not only with mint but also with other distros and even with gparted-were the actual screenshot was taken).
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

Did you try booting save mode? It might be an issue with the graphics card / driver.

Can you give some details on the PC? Motherboard, graphics card, just the basics.
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
bliqzing

Post by bliqzing »

Here's my specs!
CPU:i7 3770
RAM: 16GB 1600Mhz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 650
MOBO: Asrock B75 Pro3
HHD: WDC WD10EARX 1TB

I managed to move one step further!
In UEFI/BIOS settings changed :
ASMedia SATA3 Mode to IDE from ACHI and it booted OK!
Now I'll try to install and reset it back to its defaults!
bliqzing

Post by bliqzing »

No can Not install!
Can not see the HDD. :x
(it's start getting on my nerves-three lost days)
bliqzing

Post by bliqzing »

Ok problem partially solved!
I just change sata 3 and sata 2 slots, for the HDD and the ROM.
I installed mint but now i have a lot more other problems since the boot loader totally messed up everything and can't no longer boot in windows.
But that is another problem!
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

If you changed ACHI to IDE I believe you need to revert to ACHI for Windows to boot.
bliqzing

Post by bliqzing »

I've already done that. Thanx for your replies! I think I must make a new post for the boot problems!

Return to “Installation & Boot”