Which edition would you recommend for a long time Win user

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HipsterDoofus

Which edition would you recommend for a long time Win user

Post by HipsterDoofus »

I've been a long time Windows user (since the early 3.x days), but since Microsoft is clearly abandoning desktops, and I am a hardcore desktop fan, I am slowly making the shift away from Windows, since I want desktop OS to be a OS for a desktop.

So which edition of Linux Mint would you recommend for someone like me? (I am on the advanced user spectrum, and not novice or casual)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Which edition would you recommend for a long time Win us

Post by exploder »

It's only my opinion but I think Cinnamon has a lot of appeal to new users. KDE would also be a good choice. Cinnamon has such an elegant look and Clem went to great lengths to make it that way, to me it looks more elegant than the MacOS and it has a traditional desktop layout. KDE looks a lot like Windows 7 and it is very feature rich and easy to theme.Check out both from the Live DVD and see which one you like the best. :)
Bad Boy Bubby

Post by Bad Boy Bubby »

Hi

I have just switched and chose LM 14 Cinnamon and so far very impressed :)

Bubby
joemartin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joemartin »

LM 14 Mate is amazing. In my experience Mate is far less buggy than Cinnamon and offers the same sort of stability that Windows users proclaim as to why they stay using that operating system. Try both and decide for yourself. I always come back to Mate.
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

Based on my limited experience with MATE, I think Cinnamon would seem more familiar to a Windows user than MATE. I also prefer Cinnamon to KDE, but I will admit it has been a while since I've used KDE.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

OK. You are an advanced user. I grew up with Win 3.1 and progressed from there. I'm not much of a gamer but I enjoy 3d software. I look forward to the day we have tru 3d rendered desktops. I'll bet KDE is the first one there. I haven't tried every desktop. Tried Cinnamon 1.4., then 1.6. Very simple and elegant. Tried some distro with Compiz. Amazing effects, but problems with my Ivy Bridge system. Tried Mint 13 KDE. Effects weren't as 'explosive' as Compiz but they all worked. Many people shy away from KDE because there are just so many settings vaviables. (Compiz is kinda dead for now, noone developing it anymore). If you really love playing with the looks of your desktop and want to even go beyond current technology into 3d and ray-tracing, I have to bet KDE will be at the top of the list.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep comes down to personal preferences. Love KDE as a lot more configurations and features. Much so on the brink of confusing and longer learning curve but worth the effort. Love Cinnamon for it's simpler & elegant design.

Haven't been able to make up my mind so have mirror backups of both.
And can restore to KDE or Cinnamon depending on my mood :P
flyboy1565

Post by flyboy1565 »

Orb here's what I recommend get two thumb drives and try out a couple of different distros. I spent about a month with federoa and uba, then tried mint which was perfect. It has that Windows without the Ms Windows feel lol

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

flyboy1565 wrote:Orb here's what I recommend get two thumb drives and try out a couple of different distros. I spent about a month with federoa and uba, then tried mint which was perfect. It has that Windows without the Ms Windows feel lol

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Nah have about 5 distro's mirror copies to external usb with Redo Backup a easier version of Clonezilla.

Any distro that tickles my fancy will get installed on same partitions. Install apps,setup tweak then backed up to external.
Can switch to whatever flavor on the fly takes about 20 mins all setup and raring to go.

Also backed up my Win7,Winxp partitions so all set to do a full restrore or to new hardrive if becomes necessary.
So far Ubuntu 12.10,Funduntu,Voyager 12.10 xfce,Mint 14 Cinnamon,Mint 14 KDE distro's on external usb.

As have a 9-1 card reader in system which eats up all my bios boot from devices so usb keys for booting are out.
And don't run as fast as actual install on a partition.
dobbelyou

Post by dobbelyou »

HipsterDoofus wrote:I've been a long time Windows user (since the early 3.x days), but since Microsoft is clearly abandoning desktops, and I am a hardcore desktop fan, I am slowly making the shift away from Windows, since I want desktop OS to be a OS for a desktop.

So which edition of Linux Mint would you recommend for someone like me? (I am on the advanced user spectrum, and not novice or casual)
latest linux Mint 14 with KDE or Gnome
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

If you can't decide between Cinnamon and KDE, you can always install the "kubuntu-desktop" package over Mint Cinnamon. Beware that it's almost another 1GB download IIRC. I was stupid and installed the kubuntu-full package, so it was dreafully slow and large (over 2GB download). I ended up uninstalling everything except what was included with the kubuntu-desktop package.

Return to “Beginner Questions”