Xfce Move Window to Next Monitor Shortcut

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hypersphere
Level 2
Level 2

Xfce Move Window to Next Monitor Shortcut

Post by Hypersphere »

Perhaps this is something that would have to be implemented by Xfce rather than Linux Mint, but it would be good if keyboard shortcuts could be added to Xfce to move the active window to the next monitor in a multiple-monitor setup. This could either be "move to next monitor" or "move to monitor 0", "move to monitor 1", "move to monitor 2", etc.

I use a triple-monitor setup and really like Mint Xfce. However, I so frequently need to use keyboard shortcuts to move windows from one monitor to another that I had to switch to Mint KDE to accomplish this. I would actually prefer to use Mint Xfce because of its elegant simplicity and greater stability compared to KDE.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Xfce Move Window to Next Monitor Shortcut

Post by xenopeek »

A search for "xfce move window next monitor" turns up various solutions. Of course you can do this with xdotool :wink: Here is somebody that has instructions for it and a script which you can bind to a keyboard shortcut: https://makandracards.com/makandra/1244 ... ce-xubuntu.

And yes, this is something that needs implementing in Xfce. With the amount of people I know that use two monitors, it is weird that so few desktop environments give that proper attention...
viking777

Re: Xfce Move Window to Next Monitor Shortcut

Post by viking777 »

Thanks to xenopeek for that link, I was looking for an answer to this only today, and was able to make use of the method.

One thing not mentioned in the link though is that in addition to 'xdotool' and the 'move-to-next-window' script, you also need xdpyinfo and wmctrl installed. MInt has those already (at least Mint cinnamon does), but other distros may not have - mine didn't, so I had to install them both first before the method would work.

Return to “Xfce”