No sound via HDMI cable after new installation of Mint 14

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
spnoe
Level 1
Level 1

No sound via HDMI cable after new installation of Mint 14

Post by spnoe »

No sound via HDMI cable after new installation of Mint 14. I am helping a friend who is new to Linux and has just installed Mint 14. He has an Asus PC with a Sapphire Radion HD 6000 sound card. The card is showing in the sound preferences and I have ensured that nothing is muted but no sound. I have had a look on the forum and tried some changes that have been mentioned but no difference, still no sound.

Could anyone point me in the right direction. I have some experience in using Linux but am only an end user.

Help is appreciated.

Steve
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
stewie

Re: No sound via HDMI cable after new installation of Mint 1

Post by stewie »

HDMI does not carry sound only video you need a audio cable(RCA Cable) for the sound
stewie

Post by stewie »

HDMI does not carry sound only video you need a audio cable(RCA Cable) for the sound
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

stewie wrote:HDMI does not carry sound only video you need a audio cable(RCA Cable) for the sound
<facepalm>

Rubbish.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

spnoe wrote:No sound via HDMI cable after new installation of Mint 14. I am helping a friend who is new to Linux and has just installed Mint 14. He has an Asus PC with a Sapphire Radion HD 6000 sound card. The card is showing in the sound preferences and I have ensured that nothing is muted but no sound. I have had a look on the forum and tried some changes that have been mentioned but no difference, still no sound.
You'll probably have to install the proprietary AMD video driver. However I don't know if the version of driver available in the repositories is new enough. Do this in a terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon
Reboot. Then in a terminal again:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install fglrx-amdcccle-updates
sudo aticonfig --initial
sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0
Reboot, then from a terminal again:

gksu amdcccle
Set the video card up in the control centre (amdcccle). After that, try the sound again. If there is still no sound then you'll have to install an updated driver by dowbloading it from the AMD website and following AMD's instructions.
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
spnoe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spnoe »

Thank you so much TehGhodTrole. I will try this and post back if successful. Steve
spnoe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spnoe »

This did not seem to work. It is frustrating as I am able to get Video over the HDMI.
SinghGentleman

Post by SinghGentleman »

I just registered to post a reply to Steve's question. Being a new user migrating from Win to Linux Mint14 I experienced the exact same issue on my Acer Aspire X1301 PC. No Audio thru HDMI cable. BTW: I installed Ubuntu 12.05 LTE and that worked fine with audio thru HDMI. To test this and further rule out the hardware issue, I purchased the Zotac mini PC from newegg and installed Mint14. Same issue of no audio from HDMI. After spending couple of days troubleshooting and installing all sorts of drivers I finally got the audio to work by accident. In the hardware Sound option in the Input tab drop down there are three HDMI line items shows up. I tried selecting each of this one by one and 1st and 3rd entry did not work but as soon as I selected 2nd HDMI option and hit test sound option, sound worked !!!. BTW: I had proprietary driver from Nvidia-Current installed thru synaptic package manager under proprietary driver (In had installed the same driver for Ubunti 12.05 too).

I hope this works for you.

Good luck...

SInghGentlemen
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

@SinghGentleman - Really nice of you in registering and responding to this particular question. :) Hope it works.

Am not sure, check if this link helps.
Also, you can try aplay -D <device_id> to route the output to HDMI device.

Below links are of custom search engines that help in searching linux related topics. I find them to be very useful to solve linux related issues.

http://home.windstream.net/joelwest/
http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=01760 ... _owgx6xyi0

Intended Digression - http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/3844 - Plese note that I have posted an idea on having a Troubleshooting wizard in Mint for audio related issues. Request you have a look at it and provide your views and if it makes sense - cast your vote on it. Thanks

Am rallying the user forums who have sound issues to get consensus on the idea. Let us join our hands together in building a user-friendly Linux Mint.
nickfossil

Post by nickfossil »

Had same problem, installed PulseAudio Volume Control using software manager and using either PulseAudio or Sound settings (Output Tab/Hardware Tab respectively) was able to select HDMI Audio for output and it worked. Hope this helps.
cymbaline

Post by cymbaline »

I had this issue when I first installed Linux Mint 14 the other day. I googled and found this answer somewhere online and it worked for me. Hope it helps you.
you will need to be root for the following.

you have to edit your grub config. open /etc/default/grub with your preferred text editor and look for GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT and add radeon.audio=1 to the end of it.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

becomes

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.audio=1"

now save the file and run update-grub
Aoi v1

Post by Aoi v1 »

I'm having issues with this as well. It's been quite a time since I had to change back to Win7 (more than a year), I'm currently dual booting LM14 & Win7. Anyways, after installation I tried connecting my laptop through HDMI to my TV, no sound... then selected a different audio output, it was HDMI stereo something. It worked, but now after rebooting I noticed I have no audio whatsoever through my laptop's speakers (no HDMI this time). I tried looking through the list of audio output devices (it used to be a 6 items or so list), but the only one showing up is HDMI! Did I somehow uninstalled the others? How can I re-enable audio through my speakers?
jaka1313

Post by jaka1313 »

I had this problem and nothing worked until I found this...

HDMI Audio is disabled by default on kernel 3.0+ due to a black screen on some monitors.

To get audio working again go to:

etc/default/grub
Open grub as administrator with a text editor.

Then change the line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.audio=1"

Type on the terminal:

sudo update-grub

Reboot and your HDMI sound will work again.
stepop

Post by stepop »

There is a fix here:
http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/how-to-use-intel-linux-graphics-drivers.html

Also try updating your graphics driver:
https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads

Worked for me in LM15, hope it does for you.

S

Return to “Sound”