Visual Effects - exactly what are they?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vonskippy
Level 1
Level 1

Visual Effects - exactly what are they?

Post by vonskippy »

I've searched, and find many topics (both here and on Ubuntu forums) about problems with getting Visual Effects to work, or problems with stability, etc., but I can find anything that clearly describes what the various Visual Effects do?

So, what exactly does "none", "normal", and "extra" do?

What effects do they add, how (as in what mouse/keyboard commands) are they used, etc.

I have a system set to "normal" - and it seems like the mouse wheel will scroll between desktops, and putting the mouse into the system tray (or whatever you call where the clock is) seems to display all of the open windows in transparent mode so that you can pick which one to go to. Am I missing any?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Visual Effects - exactly what are they?

Post by Husse »

With "extra" you get the cube and wobbling windows and a lot of other Compiz stuff which you don't get in the other settings
You need to have a working 3D driver (and card) for this to work

Return to “Beginner Questions”