GLib-CRITICAL and other boot errors

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MR277
Level 1
Level 1

GLib-CRITICAL and other boot errors

Post by MR277 »

Hello! I searched the forum and I found other people with similar problem, even if the error message is not exactly the same. But in these threads there was no solution or solutions not applicable to me. I hope that this time somebody will be able to understand what's happening and help me.

I installed Linux Mint XFCE 14 a few weeks ago, I had some problems at the beginning but I solved them by upgrading the graphic drives. Then, after a while, I began to get error message at the boot.

I don' know when they started, they flash on the screen for a fraction of a second and maybe I didn't notice them for a few days. So I don't know if they started after I upgraded or installed something.

This is my "xsession-errors" file now, after rebooting:

Code: Select all

/etc/mdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
localuser:MR277 being added to access control list
Setting IM through im-switch for locale=en_US.
Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL linked to /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default.
Failed to connect to the VirtualBox kernel service
xfce4-session-Message: ssh-agent is already running
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host

** (gnome-screensaver:1585): WARNING **: Couldn't get presence status: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1627): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_new_string: assertion `string != NULL' failed

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1627): polkit-gnome-1-WARNING **: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(xfce4-indicator-plugin:1568): libindicator-WARNING **: Unable to load icon from file 'audio-output-none' because: Failed to open file 'audio-output-none': No such file or directory

(xfce4-indicator-plugin:1568): libindicator-WARNING **: IndicatorObject class does not have an accessible description.

(xfce4-indicator-plugin:1568): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_realize: assertion `GTK_WIDGET_ANCHORED (widget) || GTK_IS_INVISIBLE (widget)' failed
WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /run/user/MR277/keyring-mQ8B8d/pkcs11: No such file or directory

(xfdesktop:1563): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_file_get_path: assertion `G_IS_FILE (file)' failed

(xfdesktop:1563): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_file_get_path: assertion `G_IS_FILE (file)' failed

I never used any virtual machine, ever! What is this error message saying?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Re: GLib-CRITICAL and other boot errors

Post by powerhouse »

Aside from the error messages, does Linux Mint boot into XFCE? Any problems with applications?

Open Package Manager (synaptic), select "custom filters", then "Broken". Any packages listed?

You may also update the packages and linux kernel/headers/etc. to their latest versions.
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
MR277
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MR277 »

The boot seems normal, I get the usual xfce screen (I didn't modify anything in these settigs), it's for this reason that I am not sure about the moment these errors started: I probably did start working on the PC a number of times without noticing anything.

I don't know if every program still works, I an using only a few of them at the moment. The one I tried before seems to behave in the same way now.

The Synaptic Package Manages don't list any broken package.

I had upgraded the kernel just a few days before I noticed these errors. To check if that was the cause, this evening I did boot with the old kernel, but I did get the same error message. And I check the update manager every time I start the PC.
MR277
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MR277 »

I did check again xsession-errors after all that, and there were new errors:

(synaptic:2326): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(synaptic:2326): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(synaptic:2326): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
sh: 1: /lib/libc.so.6: not found
WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /run/user/MR277/keyring-V865TO/pkcs11: No such file or directory
MR277
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MR277 »

Another thing: I have this error at the end of every update process,

ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
W: Waited for dpkg --assert-multi-arch but it wasn't there - dpkgGo (10: No child processes)
I have read many other threads about this error after the update, but it seems that nobody knows what it is and what cause it. I don't know if it's tied to my problem or not.

This error, too, was not present the first days after installation.

This is my system information (I did nit copy-and-paste it last time because I had booted into a old kernel version)

Processor		: 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz <--- it's not a read two-core system, it's a effect of multi-threading
Memory		: 1017MB (374MB used)
--------------
-Version-
Kernel		: Linux 3.8.0-030800-generic (i686)
Compiled		: #201302181935 SMP Tue Feb 19 00:46:09 UTC 2013
C Library		: Unknown
Default C Compiler		: GNU C Compiler version 4.7.2 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.7.2-2ubuntu1) 
Distribution		: Linux Mint 14 Nadia
-Current Session-
[...]
Desktop Environment		: XFCE 4
--------------
-Display-
Resolution		: 1600x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 865G x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-------------------
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter		: ICH4 - Intel ICH5
Audio Adapter		: USB-Audio - USB Device 0x46d
-Input Devices-
 Power Button
 Power Button
 AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
 UVC Camera (046d:0802)
 ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

With regard to the errors when updating packages, I also get tons of errors that mean absolutely nothing. As long as update reports success at the end of it. Check the applications you've installed or updated - if they work OK, I wouldn't bother.

I see you have a 3.8 kernel. This is anything but the default kernel that comes with Linux Mint. Unless you have a really good reason to run a bleeding edge kernel, use the default kernel that comes with Linux Mint. For Linux Mint 14 and at this writing, the default kernel is 3.5.0-25. Check your Software Sources under "Preferences" and make sure you haven't got unstable packages marked. Mine has Main, Upstream, and Imported packages marked, and under "Other Software" Ubuntu 12.10, Recommended updates, Important security updates, Canonical Partners, packages.medibuntu.org/ quantal free non-free, and perhaps sources for specific packages/applications that are not included in the standard repository.

Good luck!
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
MR277
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MR277 »

Hi! Thank for the help!

I have added some others software sources to the ones I had after install. They are:

- ppa.launchpad.net/oibaf/graphics-drivers/ubuntu quantal main -> I need this one. When I first installed Linux Mind I could not play any video at all, or use google hangout (this is the thread where I detailed the problem: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&t=123694 ) I was able to solve this problem only when I added this repository and installed the more recent drives.
(when I added this repository, a second one with "main (Source code)" instead of "main" was added: should I leave it checked?)

- dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main --> this one was added with google chrome
-dl.google.com/linux/talkplugin/deb/ stable main --> to use google hangout

- ppa.launchpad.net/xubuntu-dev/xfce-4.12/ubuntu quanytal main ---> I added this one to get updated versions of some programs, Thunar 1.6 most of all

It was when I upgraded from this last depository that I added the Kernel 3.6 to the list of updates to download, i think.

Today I did boot from the older kernel this is what my system show now:

-Computer-
Processor		: 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Memory		: 1018MB (430MB used)

-Version-
Kernel		: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic (i686)
Compiled		: #28-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 9 19:32:08 UTC 2012
Default C Compiler		: GNU C Compiler version 4.7.2 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.7.2-2ubuntu1) 
-Current Session-
[...]

-Display-

-Multimedia-
-Input Devices-
 Power Button
 Power Button
There ixsession-errors file that I got this time is even longer, though (it's strange because even the first time I posted I had tried to boot from the old kernel)

Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL linked to /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default.

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1602): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_new_string: assertion `string != NULL' failed

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1602): polkit-gnome-1-WARNING **: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

** (gnome-screensaver:1576): WARNING **: Couldn't get presence status: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(xfce4-indicator-plugin:1561): libindicator-WARNING **: Unable to load icon from file 'audio-output-none' because: Failed to open file 'audio-output-none': No such file or directory

(xfce4-indicator-plugin:1561): libindicator-WARNING **: IndicatorObject class does not have an accessible description.

(xfce4-indicator-plugin:1561): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_realize: assertion `GTK_WIDGET_ANCHORED (widget) || GTK_IS_INVISIBLE (widget)' failed

(xfce4-indicator-plugin:1561): libindicator-WARNING **: Unable to set watch on 'com.canonical.indicator.sound': 'GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name :1.35 was not provided by any .service files'

(xfce4-indicator-plugin:1561): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_proxy_call_internal: assertion `G_IS_DBUS_PROXY (proxy)' failed

(xfce4-indicator-plugin:1561): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid uninstantiatable type `(null)' in cast to `GObject'

(xfce4-indicator-plugin:1561): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(xfce4-indicator-plugin:1561): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_destroy: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(xfce4-indicator-plugin:1561): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_destroy: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(xfce4-indicator-plugin:1561): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_realize: assertion `GTK_WIDGET_ANCHORED (widget) || GTK_IS_INVISIBLE (widget)' failed
WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /run/user/MR277/keyring-rol5Zk/pkcs11: No such file or directory

(xfdesktop:1554): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_file_get_path: assertion `G_IS_FILE (file)' failed

(xfdesktop:1554): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_file_get_path: assertion `G_IS_FILE (file)' failed

(Thunar:1550): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_window_get_window_type: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed
Returning to the kernel: so you suggest I install and use 3.5.0-25 (at this moment I am using 3.5.0-17, the one at install) and don't use 3.6? Should I remove the 3.6 kernel or it's more secure to simply boot from the 3.5.0-25 one without removing the other?
MR277
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MR277 »

Hello!

I removed the 3.8 Kernel using the procedure I found in this forum, but the errors are still the same...

This is what I got from ".xsession-errors" just after boot:

** (gnome-screensaver:1569): WARNING **: Couldn't get presence status: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1609): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_new_string: assertion `string != NULL' failed

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1609): polkit-gnome-1-WARNING **: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /run/user/MR277/keyring-VI7Udf/pkcs11: No such file or directory

(xfce4-indicator-plugin:1585): libindicator-WARNING **: Unable to load icon from file 'audio-output-none' because: Failed to open file 'audio-output-none': No such file or directory

(xfce4-indicator-plugin:1585): libindicator-WARNING **: IndicatorObject class does not have an accessible description.

(xfce4-indicator-plugin:1585): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_realize: assertion `GTK_WIDGET_ANCHORED (widget) || GTK_IS_INVISIBLE (widget)' failed
I can't even fathom what does it means...

This is my system now:

-Computer-
Processor		: 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Memory		: 1018MB (387MB used)
Operating System		: Linux Mint 14 Nadia

-Version-
Kernel		: Linux 3.5.0-25-generic (i686)
Compiled		: #39-Ubuntu SMP Mon Feb 25 19:02:34 UTC 2013
[...

-Display-
-Multimedia-
-Input Devices-
 Power Button
 Power Button
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

Are you running Linux Mint as a VM in VirtualBox?

If not it looks like there is some stuff installed that isn't needed.

BUT, the most important question is: Does your system work? Is everything running normal as it should?

If the answer is yes, I wouldn't break my head about the error messages. It is absolutely normal for a Linux system to log errors when booting. For instance, it's quite common that during boot the system will enable some features and then discover that the hardware isn't there to support it. It will then disable the feature and print an error. For example, my desktop PC doesn't have bluetooth and though I disabled it there are still error messages relating to bluetooth.

About your kernel: It is OK to leave the other kernels, as long as you got enough space in /boot (if /boot is a separate partition, else it's part of /).

I don't think it's critical to update from a 3.5.0-17 to a 3.5.0-25 kernel, though it's easy enough to just do it. I usually update after making a backup.
MR277
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MR277 »

Hi! Thanks for your reply!
powerhouse wrote:
Are you running Linux Mint as a VM in VirtualBox?
If not it looks like there is some stuff installed that isn't needed.
I never even tried to use a Virtualbox. I would not know even how to do it, or what programs to use.
BUT, the most important question is: Does your system work? Is everything running normal as it should?
Until now it seems so, but I am, just experimenting until now with Mint. I am trying to learn the programs one by one, and I still have not used most of the ones included in the install. I would like to move my work completely to linux with time, but it's still a long-term project. At this time I am still trying to learn how to use the terminal and how to use google hangout (the application where I really need xfce smaller resource use)

At this time I still have some issues with the microphone volume level and with multimedia files, but they seems not connected with the errors at the boot.
If the answer is yes, I wouldn't break my head about the error messages. It is absolutely normal for a Linux system to log errors when booting. For instance, it's quite common that during boot the system will enable some features and then discover that the hardware isn't there to support it. It will then disable the feature and print an error. For example, my desktop PC doesn't have bluetooth and though I disabled it there are still error messages relating to bluetooth..
What make me worry about these errors is the tone of them.

For example, this one seems a security risk:
"xfce4-session-Message: ssh-agent is already running

And how many "critical" are in the list...
I have found a similar error (with a different number) in a post from 2010...
https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... al-847127/

Return to “Installation & Boot”