When are the fixes to Menu Editor going to be pushed to 14?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
violent23

When are the fixes to Menu Editor going to be pushed to 14?

Post by violent23 »

I was wondering when the fix to edit Preferences and Administration is going to be pushed to Mint 14 and LMDE? It would appear this has been fixed for at least two months from reading on github.

https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/1563

When should we finally see this, or are we to expect to always have a broken menu editor in Mint 14?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: When are the fixes to Menu Editor going to be pushed to

Post by xenopeek »

This will probably be released with Linux Mint 15 and then backported to older releases (or maybe earlier, as it is in the 1.6.x branch and not in the 1.7.x development branch for 15). You can of course download the source code for the newer Cinnamon release and compile & install it to get this fix if you really want to: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/955
violent23

Post by violent23 »

xenopeek wrote:This will probably be released with Linux Mint 15 and then backported to older releases (or maybe earlier, as it is in the 1.6.x branch and not in the 1.7.x development branch for 15). You can of course download the source code for the newer Cinnamon release and compile & install it to get this fix if you really want to: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/955
Thanks for the info. I am sure there is some good reason as for why fixes that have been developed months ago can't be released untill 15 comes out and then they are backported but what about LMDE? Isn't LMDE a rolling release? I would assume that a rolling release get's fixes "rolled" out to it as they become available. So I must be naive but why has LMDE not received these fixes that have existed for months for a broken core app?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The developers submit code to Cinnamon all the time, but you don't get these changes unless you run the development version of Cinnamon yourself or until a new release of Cinnamon is done. A new release of Cinnamon is preceded by a testing cycle to make sure all the code is working together as intended and stable enough to be released.

LMDE won't get a newer version of Cinnamon either, as there is no new release done for Cinnamon yet.
violent23

Post by violent23 »

xenopeek wrote:The developers submit code to Cinnamon all the time, but you don't get these changes unless you run the development version of Cinnamon yourself or until a new release of Cinnamon is done. A new release of Cinnamon is preceded by a testing cycle to make sure all the code is working together as intended and stable enough to be released.

LMDE won't get a newer version of Cinnamon either, as there is no new release done for Cinnamon yet.
How is it that LMDE is waiting for a "new version" when it is a rolling release? Aren't rolling releases supposed to be updated all of the time, hence making it a "rolling" release? Frankly it sounds like LMDE isn't a rolling release at all, it sounds more like a distro that get's a quarterly update for it's releases.

I mean, I just don't get it. Alacarte used to be in Cinnamon and worked just fine. Then the Mint team takes out the working Alacarte and replaces it with a broken fork of Alacarte and proceeds to call it a stable release. Now it is finally fixed and no one is going to push it out to this so called stable release, they are going to just sit on it and wait for the next "stable" release. Why was the broken fork of Alacarte even put in 14? Why not wait until it works to put it in a stable release?

If the excuse your going to give is that you can't release fixes until they are all put together to make sure the next release is stable, how in the world did the broken fork of Alacarte ever make it into 14.

You know Xubuntu 12.10 also released with a broken menu editor, but you know what they did? They fixed it and released the fix to the users. I know, quite an odd concept. It's 2013 and I can't even edit an app menu on your "stable" release. This is precisely why the "year of Linux" is never going to happen. I just don't understand why Mint replaced a functioning app with a broken one, how is this any different than what Gnome has been doing? I thought that was the whole reason to fork Gnome Shell and create Cinnamon, to stop this stupid kind of developing.

Return to “Other topics”