Can I launch Rosegarden without launching jackd?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fernando_a_martin

Can I launch Rosegarden without launching jackd?

Post by fernando_a_martin »

Right after making a fresh install of mint 14 on my pc and netbook I installed some audio applications such as jack, timdity, rosegarden and others.
Mint created a script that automatically launches Timidity as alsa output in ports 128, something very nice because anytime I use a midi application it can automatically grab timidity as its output.
At the beggining, in both computers, when I launched Rosegarden it also recognized timidity trhough alsa in ports 128 and played midi output through it. But recently I used rosegarden and noticed that it could not send output to timidity through alsa anymore. So I went to system monitor and noticed that every time I launch rosegarden it automatically starts jackd. So I only can send rosegarden's output now through jack.
I liked it better when rosegarden worked with alsa but I can use it with jack. But the worst thing is that after I close rosegarden the process jackd remains running on my system and blocks the audio output of any non-jack application, until I kill jackd manually.
I tried to kill jackd while running rosegarden but rosegarden displays an error message an launches jackd again. I also cretaed a script with a command launching rosegarden in the first line and other killing jackd in the second line but it launches rosegarden but doesn't kill jackd after I close it.
Two strange things are that 1 - formerly rosegarden could recognize alsa without having to call jack and 2 - now if I launch rosegarden (and it launches jackd), close rosegarden, kill jackd manually and launch rosegarden again, in the second time it doesn't launch jackd anymore and recognize alsa.
So I have two questions:
Can I configure rosegarden to somehow start without launching jackd together with it?
If not, can I find a way to make jackd close automatically after I close rosegarden?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Can I launch Rosegarden without launching jackd?

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

fernando_a_martin wrote:But the worst thing is that after I close rosegarden the process jackd remains running on my system and blocks the audio output of any non-jack application, until I kill jackd manually.
I tried to kill jackd while running rosegarden but rosegarden displays an error message an launches jackd again. I also cretaed a script with a command launching rosegarden in the first line and other killing jackd in the second line but it launches rosegarden but doesn't kill jackd after I close it.
That's how jack works!!
Two strange things are that 1 - formerly rosegarden could recognize alsa without having to call jack and 2 - now if I launch rosegarden (and it launches jackd), close rosegarden, kill jackd manually and launch rosegarden again, in the second time it doesn't launch jackd anymore and recognize alsa.
So I have two questions:
Can I configure rosegarden to somehow start without launching jackd together with it?
If not, can I find a way to make jackd close automatically after I close rosegarden?
I never used rosegarden but with using hydrogen and ardour you can set the application run not using jack under preferences/option/settings in both applications. Surely rosegarden must have same thing.
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
fernando_a_martin

Re: Can I launch Rosegarden without launching jackd?

Post by fernando_a_martin »

Ok. It seems natural that jackd keeps running until I kill it. But it seemed strange to me because when I used Opensuse, somehow after I closed rosegarden jack either closed or slept so that I could use any other audio application without having to kill it manually.
Unfortunately rosegarden preferences window is very limited. I unchecked any option related to jack but there seems to be none that allows me to run rosegarden without it calling jack.
Does anyone know a way to launch rosegarden without rosegarden automatically launching jackd?

Return to “Software & Applications”