Duel Boot Issues

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
briank24708

Duel Boot Issues

Post by briank24708 »

I have Windows 8 on my computer. I dual booted Windows 8 & Linux Mint by partitioning space on my c: for mint. I am looking to remove Linux Mint because it makes my computer warmer then running windows. I do not see any ways to remove Linux Mint without deleting the partition yet I see many forms online telling me not to do that. I was curious if there is a way I can remove Linux mint and Restore my boot screen so I don't have to look at the ugly commandline selections everytime I boot up. Also I don't know if its selecting Linux and the main OS because it has Linux Mint on the top when I turn on the computer. I tried to use the program BCD but its doesn't work with windows 8 yet.

Any ideas?

BTW I also run Linux Mint on my Desktop and I will say its fantastic on there!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Zalbor

Re: Duel Boot Issues

Post by Zalbor »

Things have changed for Windows 8 and EFI as far as I know, but in 7 and earlier the procedure was:
1) Use a Windows installation disc to restore the Windows bootloader to the MBR
2) Delete the non-Windows partition
3) Enlarge the Windows partition to use the new free space.
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Duel Boot Issues

Post by srs5694 »

First, there's no way to give the disk space used by Linux back to Windows without deleting the Linux partition; the two are really just two different ways of saying the same thing. Deleting the Linux partition can cause problems because of a poorly-conceived boot loader configuration, but there are ways around that....

The way you should proceed depends on your boot mode (BIOS or EFI). If your computer came with Windows 8, chances are you're using an EFI-mode boot, so I'll describe how to do it that way; but if you're using BIOS (as you might if you installed Windows 8 yourself), the procedure is entirely different. I recommend you do the following:
  1. In Linux, open a shell and type "sudo efibootmgr -v". This should produce a list of boot loaders and associated information. Study it. Check the BootOrder variable, which specifies the order in which different boot loaders are used. Chances are the entry for Linux will be first in the list, and you should see a separate entry for Windows.
  2. Type "sudo efibootmgr -o {x,y,z}", where "{x,y,z}" is a set of numbers representing a new priority list for the boot loader, as in "2,4,1" if you want Boot0002 to be the first one used, Boot0004 to be the second one tried, and so on. Note that in most cases only the first boot entry will be used; subsequent entries will be used only if something goes wrong with the first one. You want to set it so that the Windows boot loader is the first one to be run.
  3. Reboot. Windows should start immediately.
  4. Use any partitioning tool(s) that can do the job to remove your Linux partitions and resize the Windows partition to fill the disk.You can do this in Windows or reboot into a Linux emergency disc to use GParted or similar tools to do this job. (People here are more likely to know the Linux tools, should you run into problems with this step.)
If you have problems at any point along the way, stop and ask for more help.

Return to “Installation & Boot”