Install "failed to start the x server" / "no screens found"

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mmmoira

Install "failed to start the x server" / "no screens found"

Post by mmmoira »

Hi,
I am trying to install Linux Mint 14 on a brand new netbook (ASUS 1015CX) which has only Windows 7Starter. I used unetbootin to get the iso on a USB, and tried to install it by pressing F2 to have the computer boot from the USB; the problems start when I choose "Start Linux Mint"; I keep getting the same error, as follows:
1-Linux Mint boot screen appears
2-black screen with "Welcome to Linux Mint" etc. and then mint@mint ~ $
3-error message: "Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up correctly." etc.
4-I choose to view the server output: the Initializing stops at:

Code: Select all

Loading extension GLX
Fatal server error:
no screens found
and finally "Server terminated with error (1)"
5-I choose to view the X server output and everything seems to be ok up to the following lines:

Code: Select all

(EE) intel(0): [drm] failed to detect GEM. Kernel 2.6.28 required.
(EE) intel(0): Failed to become DRM master.
(II) UnloadModule: "intel"
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
Fatal server error: no screens found
The final message is:
THE X SERVER IS NOW DISABLED. RESTART MDM WHEN IT IS CONFIGURED CORRECTLY.

I think I've pretty much tried everything suggested in every forum on the subject, and none of it works. (This is why I thought it better to start a new post that sums them all up). Things I've already tried:
-Compatibility mode: same thing happens
-the USB can run perfectly ok on another computer (which has Ubuntu already installed)
-Checking the integrity was ok
-I tried "startx" and get the same error at "Loading extension GLX"
-Same thing when tried configuring Xorg following http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.ph ... 56#p594097 (both with command cp and with command mv) and then startx.
-I tried "sudo lxdm" following http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 67#p554267 and it says "command not found", then brings me back to mint@mint
-I tried entering "fixvesa" following http://superuser.com/questions/126981/f ... -usb-drive & nothing
-Another user suggested going to the grub boot menu and editing the "Install Linux Mint" item but in my menu there's no such item.
-I tried changing the resolution to "resolution=1024x768" following http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 98#p554058, then that plus switching "quiet" for "verbose" (following http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p554267) & nothing. (also, the monitor on Windows runs ok, although it is configured on 800x600).

As you probably figured by now, I am a rookie - although eager to learn... it's been 3 nights already trying to figure this one out.
All help is appreciated, I don't want to quit!
Cheers
Moira.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Tex87

Re: Install "failed to start the x server" / "no screens fou

Post by Tex87 »

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem on a Acer D270 mini-laptop!
I tried almost the same things as moira did. In addition I also tried:

- When on the booting menu of the live cd => pressed tab and added "nomodeset" or "mode=vesa".

Neither options did change anything to the problem.

I have been using linux for almost 4 years now. Installed it on quiete a few laptops. In doing so also have been face with some problems like wireless card that would not work, .. But this is going over my head now, so I need help! :-)

To be clear, nadia isn't installed yet on this one. The X server won"t start while trying to boot the live cd.

Please help moira and me! :-)

Thanks!
mmmoira

Post by mmmoira »

Hi Tex,
I must say that after trying all possibilities and asking people who know much more than I do about this, I have given up :'(
I did not want to install ubuntu on this computer because I am not happy with their latest changes, so I installed Lubuntu and it runs fine.
However, if an answer to this problem ever comes up I will be glad to switch to Mint.
Good luck with your quest!
moira.
Tex87

Post by Tex87 »

Hi moira,

After some serieus digging, and a lot of wasted time I found a solution!

1) start ANOTHER computer with the live cd or usb.
2) While in the live session, go to synaptic packages.
3) update Xserver-xorg-core
4) Be sure that you are in a live session with persisstent saving of changes.
5) shutdown and put the live usb or cd back in the computer you want to install nadia on.

The problem should be gone! ;-)
Fixed my x server problem, hopes it does the same for you!

By the way, which lubuntu did you install? 12.10?

greetz
NStanko

Post by NStanko »

I stumbled upon this post trying to find a fix to my problem, wondering if you guys could shed some light on what's going wrong. I get the same error when I try booting up. I boot up just fine from the LiveDVD, aside from running in compatibility mode being a must, but when I try to boot up normally, I get the tty1 login screen, which I've never had to use to login, and I have it set up so I am logged in automatically upon start up. If I let it sit for 5 seconds, it takes me to the same error messages Moira is getting. However, if I boot up and run from the recovery mode, and resume normal boot, it works just fine. It is not difficult, it just seems unnecessary to be required to boot in recovery mode, only resume a normal boot. Any help on this is much appreciated.

I'm using Linux Mint 13 Mate, 32-bit edition.

Return to “Installation & Boot”