Firefox to start blocking cookies from 3rd party advertisers

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Orbmiser

Firefox to start blocking cookies from 3rd party advertisers

Post by Orbmiser »

Firefox to start blocking cookies from third-party advertisers
http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/23/40230 ... dvertisers

Not till version 22 tho looks like.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Firefox to start blocking cookies from 3rd party adverti

Post by raymerjacque »

And the firefox woes seem to continue, so glad i moved to Opera :)
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

All right. Here's a question. I don't completely understand cookies. I keep cookies disabled in FF unless I know a site can't function properly without it, like a banking site. I'll add an exception for that site only. Third party cookies has no effect on FF users that have them disabled, right?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, folks.

If I understand the linked article correctly, it merely announces that in a future version Firefox will block 3rd party cookies by default. Currently, you simply have to configure it to block them. So no big deal really. No reason to switch to Opera or any other browser just in order reject 3rd party cookies. My Firefox has been rejecting them since ages. :wink:

Kind regards,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

homerscousin wrote:Third party cookies has no effect on FF users that have them disabled, right?
Why else would you be blocking all cookies, if not exactly for this reason? So the answer is: correct, you don't get any thrid party cookies, because you are blocking all cookies except those explicitly permitted by you.

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

karlchen wrote: If I understand the linked article correctly, it merely announces that in a future version Firefox will block 3rd party cookies by default. Currently, you simply have to configure it to block them. So no big deal really. No reason to switch to Opera or any other browser just in order reject 3rd party cookies. My Firefox has been rejecting them since ages. :wink:
After reading I followed this to block the 3rd party cookies and then deleted all cookies (egads there were a lot of advertisers). Can't wait to see how that goes.

Pat
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, palo.

This is what I do, too, except that my Firefox will clear all cookies when it exits.

Karl
Lifeline

Return to “Software & Applications”