Virtualbox installation

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alphagammabetaray2

Virtualbox installation

Post by alphagammabetaray2 »

I am using Mint with VirtualBox, and it is running fine. However, when I shut down, it doesn't save anything I have done in that session. So, all the packages that I installed or files I downloaded are gone by the next session. I also use an Ubuntu virtual, and it doesn't have problems like that. I really like mint, so I want to use it and not Ubuntu. Also, I am using an xfce desktop (to make the virtual lighter)

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lmarmisa

Re: Virtualbox installation

Post by lmarmisa »

alphagammabetaray2 wrote:I am using Mint with VirtualBox, and it is running fine. However, when I shut down, it doesn't save anything I have done in that session. So, all the packages that I installed or files I downloaded are gone by the next session. I also use an Ubuntu virtual, and it doesn't have problems like that. I really like mint, so I want to use it and not Ubuntu. Also, I am using an xfce desktop (to make the virtual lighter)

Thanks.
Perhaps you are running Linux Mint Live. Have you installed Linux Mint in your virtual machine?. Have you removed the virtual Linux Mint Live CD from the CD/DVD drive of the virtual machine?.
alphagammabetaray2

I remember installing it, and on the desktop, there is not an option to install/try the OS. Is there a way to confirm that?
lmarmisa

Post by lmarmisa »

Go to the Storage menu of VirtualBox and check if CD/DVD drive is empty:
CD.png
A second possibility would be that the virtual disk of your virtual machine would be defined as a "inmutable image":

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch05.h ... magewrites
alphagammabetaray2

The CD was mounted, like in the picture. Should have realized it. I think it got mounted when I installed guest additions. Thanks.
lmarmisa

Post by lmarmisa »

The CD/DVD drive is empty in the figure. The device named MINT14KDE.vdi is a virtual hard disk.

Check if the iso file mounted in your CD/DVD drive is Linux Mint Live or GuestAdditions. If it is GuestAdditions, the problem is not solved.

Return to “Installation & Boot”