How can I understand that my Nvidia drivers installed

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thebluesky

How can I understand that my Nvidia drivers installed

Post by thebluesky »

How can I understand that my Nvidia driver was installed properly please?
I run Mint 14 Nadia
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: How can I understand that my Nvidia drivers installed

Post by viking777 »

Easiest way - you see an Nvidia splash screen for about 1 second during the boot precess (unless you explicitly turned it off). If you don't see it then the driver isn't working. There are more technical ways than that, but that is the easiest.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

thebluesky wrote:How can I understand that my Nvidia driver was installed properly please?
I run Mint 14 Nadia

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
thebluesky

Post by thebluesky »

TehGhodTrole wrote:
thebluesky wrote:How can I understand that my Nvidia driver was installed properly please?
I run Mint 14 Nadia

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
this is the output I got

Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce G210M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NVA8 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.2-devel Direct Rendering: Yes

thanks
thebluesky

Post by thebluesky »

viking777 wrote:Easiest way - you see an Nvidia splash screen for about 1 second during the boot precess (unless you explicitly turned it off). If you don't see it then the driver isn't working. There are more technical ways than that, but that is the easiest.
thanks for your help

I booted my laptop but I couldnt see any Nvidia logo .I found out PCLinuxOS has Nvidia drivers as a default.So I gave it a try to find out if I will able to see any logo, yes actually I saw full screen Nvidia logo for a few seconds at the start up and I checked the settings and it says that the driver version is 310 .so I understood it was installed this time as a default but PCLinuxOS has too many programs like windows 7 and it shuts down withuot notice like Windows 7 ! and I tried liveUSB Mint 14 XFCE this time without any updates and use the code isxi -G on terminal.it shows the same output with updated Mint 14 Nadia full installation.
so how can I update my graphcis card driver I still dont know :)
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Additional drivers tab in Software Sources application should allow you to install and activate the Nvidia driver so look there. If that doesn't work then sgfxi always does.http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... xi#p497881
thebluesky

Post by thebluesky »

viking777 wrote:Additional drivers tab in Software Sources application should allow you to install and activate the Nvidia driver so look there. If that doesn't work then sgfxi always does.http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... xi#p497881
now after I updated kernel virtual box
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce G210M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: vesa,nouveau (unloaded: fbdev) FAILED: nvidia Resolution: 1280x720@0.0hz
GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A Direct Rendering: N/A
Jamesc359

Post by Jamesc359 »

Just install the driver from NVidia. Goto http://www.geforce.com/drivers and download the current version for your GPU then install it.

e.g.
sudo service mdm stop
sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-310.32.run
Answer the prompts. Most you'll want to say yes too and don't panic if you get a distro script failure or something like that. Just continue on.
sudo shutdown -r now
:-)

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”