Rsync GUI for backup not mounted error

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
amarumayo

Rsync GUI for backup not mounted error

Post by amarumayo »

Hi all,

I am on Mint14 and I am trying to get a backup working with luckyBackup which is an Rsync GUI. I have selected the source and destination however when I try to run the backup it tells me my external HD is not mounted even though I am sure that it is mounted. The command that it is running is below. Can anyone see what is the problem or what I may do to fix this.

rsync -h --progress --stats -r -tgo -p -l -D --update --delete-after /home/bird/test_backup /media/bird/My\ Passport/test_backup/

and the error I get is:

Destination directory: /media/bird/My Passport/test_backup/
is not mounted.
This task will be skipped.

When I run the command from the terminal it works fine.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
usbtux

Re: Rsync GUI for backup not mounted error

Post by usbtux »

I had a very similar prob - I think I had to rename my WD - "My Book" to My_Book that is put an underscore (shift minus) in place of the space.
In Cinnamon use disk utility to rename volume label.

Make sure to Empty rubish bin or via /home/YOURNAME/.local/share/Trash
Here's mine -

time rsync -r -t -v --progress -u -z -s --exclude VirtualBox* --exclude Dropbox --exclude Downloads --exclude .wine --exclude .Play* /media/MY_BOOK/mint13backup/home/
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Your destination path is puzzling: /media/bird/My Passport/test_backup

Should it not be: /media/nameofdrive/test_backup

Since USB drives automount, what is the name of the external drive given on your Desktop? If it is My Passport then enclose the name in quotation marks.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
amarumayo

Post by amarumayo »

Thanks for the replies, I decided to use GRsync instead as it works flawlessly. Usbtux's solution may very well work, but I have not tried it. @ kyphi, the mount destination I listed for my external HD is the correct one.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
Vortice104

Post by Vortice104 »

Hi,

I had the same problem you had, and I think I solved it calling the "source folder" with the same name of the "destination folder".

When I change the name, it gives me the error, so I guess that it is a bug or maybe it has been made for safety reasons (?).

Cheers,

Return to “Beginner Questions”