Speed up this web site

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
igor83

Speed up this web site

Post by igor83 »

This web site has frequent slowdowns and could use some optimization. That sort of thing often is a custom job, but it couldn't hurt to block the bandiwidth-wasting spambots and scrapers and fine-tune the cache controls. I wonder how many of these slowdowns are the result of some ravenous scraper that is grabbing every single link on the site.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Speed up this web site

Post by catweazel »

igor83 wrote:This web site has frequent slowdowns and could use some optimization. That sort of thing often is a custom job, but it couldn't hurt to block the bandiwidth-wasting spambots and scrapers and fine-tune the cache controls. I wonder how many of these slowdowns are the result of some ravenous scraper that is grabbing every single link on the site.
It's a Microsoft conspiracy...

Code: Select all

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], gemini89, TehGhodTrole and 7 guests
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

It's a Microsoft conspiracy...
LOL :lol:
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

anandrkris wrote: LOL :lol:
:mrgreen:
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
igor83

Post by igor83 »

I find that most spam-bots, hackers and scrapers originate from China, Ukraine, or Russia.
igor83

Post by igor83 »

Ever got this error message on this web site before?

bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

Huh. I haven't seen that one since my gaming clan's website got DDOS'd.
bjornmu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bjornmu »

I've gotten that message once too.
igor83

Post by igor83 »

What I'm thinking, and I could be wrong, is that bad bots are hogging too much bandwidth. Without looking at the server log one can't say for sure...but I do know there are some greedy scrapers in the wild that will hammer every message in a forum like this one.
bjornmu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bjornmu »

It could just mean that Mint has become too popular. :wink: If the server running this forum is too old and slow to handle the traffic it now gets then this is what might happen. They may need a new and faster server, upgraded phpBB forum software (copyright at the bottom says 2007) or an upgraded MySQL.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Performance of the websites has been under close observation for a while, with the team looking at the right steps to take to improve performance. Few things were already done.

Preparations have been made for moving to better servers, which is currently planned to be done on Monday. So hold on a while, and let's see next week :wink:
igor83

Post by igor83 »

xenopeek wrote:Performance of the websites has been under close observation for a while, with the team looking at the right steps to take to improve performance. Few things were already done.

Preparations have been made for moving to better servers, which is currently planned to be done on Monday. So hold on a while, and let's see next week :wink:
Awesome news! I think that is important, because the web site represents the brand, and newcomers may otherwise draw hasty and mistaken conclusions.

I have a vendetta of sorts against spambots, scrapers and attack-bots, due to old battle-scars in the past, so that is my particular angle, but of course, increased server capacity and an upgraded backend will also deal with the situation very nicely.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Faced this error a while ago. Posting for awareness.
Mint_Site_error.JPG
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Thanks, we've noted it earlier also. Team will be investigating. Apparently there is still some sync running, that may last another 24 hours and cause heavy load.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”