[Solved] How to adjust brightness of the screen Acer 3820TG?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

[Solved] How to adjust brightness of the screen Acer 3820TG?

Postby phidias81 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:25 am

Function key+ arrows is not working (mint 14 mate on acer 3820tg, the brightness bar is actually moving back and forth, but it's not changing the brightness), so I tried to make a search and I tried the following without success:

Installing Xbacklight and
xbacklight -inc 40

changing from power management

sudo setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.b=99

None of them is working for me. What should I do?!?
Last edited by phidias81 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
At Nomad Travellers you find my travel stories, unusual places and amazing photos: visit my new website and travel from your chair! Make yourself comfortable and start your Nomad Travel! Davide
phidias81
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to adjust brightness of the screen?

Postby robw on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:02 pm

Not sure about MATE but looking in System Settings (or similar) I seen to recall something about Power Management. Just wondered if an auto dimming box might be ticked which is interfering with your ability to adjust? Sorry its vague, I don't use MATE!
Check out my watercolour paintings at www.robwighamwatercolours.com.
robw
Level 3
Level 3

Postby phidias81 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:50 am

I tried to deselect "dim when idle" but with no effect
At Nomad Travellers you find my travel stories, unusual places and amazing photos: visit my new website and travel from your chair! Make yourself comfortable and start your Nomad Travel! Davide
phidias81
Level 1
Level 1

Postby phidias81 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:55 am

Any help?
phidias81
Level 1
Level 1

Postby phidias81 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:08 am

3 more solutions didn't work.
I tried the brightness widget on the bar, andI tried also these solution without success
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... st11158182

http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/56 ... ost7260501
phidias81
Level 1
Level 1

Postby phidias81 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:29 am

I got it to work! After the last fix it's working but only bith the function keys, not from the terminal! That's good enough!
phidias81
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions