Decent Linux Laptop

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Odipides
Level 1
Level 1

Decent Linux Laptop

Post by Odipides »

I need a new laptop but I always go through snot and trauma getting everything to work on a hardware platform I haven't tried with Linux. I'm in South Africa and local retail suppliers don't usually let you install an arbitrary OS before you buy :evil: .

The specs I'm looking for are:
  • 17" Full HD (1920 * 1080)
    Intel i7 (or whatever's good at the moment)
    Decent (ish) graphics card
    upgradeable to 16GB RAM (I use a lot of virtual machines as my dev environments)
    at least 1TB drive
    Full keyboard (i.e. the numberic pad and full sized shift keys)
Currently I use a Dell XPS lx 702 (works perfectly but it's getting a bit long in the tooth) but finding a device with much the same specs that DEFINITELY runs Mint is proving difficult. I've bought a couple of HP's in the past but they're usually equipped with ATI cards and the driver support (last time a tried it) was lousy. So, graphic card wise, I'd prefer nVidia as the driver seems pretty stable.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: Decent Linux Laptop

Post by Orbmiser »

Looks like fits the Bill and already tested and installed Ubuntu
https://www.system76.com/laptops/model/bonx6
Odipides
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Decent Linux Laptop

Post by Odipides »

Thanks, looks perfect.

It's availability in SA is, however, more of a mystery :) I just get met by blank looks so far. I'll see if I can order direct.

Thanks again for the info

Return to “Hardware Support”