Codecs or No Codecs

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
darwiny

Codecs or No Codecs

Post by darwiny »

Hello to all,
I'm from Croatia

I have a few questions. I tried to find "Mint with Codecs country lists" here and google too. I couldn't find anywhere so I do not know what should i use Mint with Codecs or without Codecs. I've read on wiki too and confused me.

Please help

p.s. I do not have advanced english (british) language but beginner in my brain ^^

I don't understand whats differences codecs and no codecs, still confuses me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: codes or no codes

Post by Orbmiser »

You mean Codecs? (Mp3,Audio,Video) that allow playing of restricted formats?

If wanting to play movies,music,etc.. then select distro with codecs.
It a personal choice as Codecs are not open source therefore many distro's do not include them as default or give you an option to isntall them later with a non-codec distro.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

We also have a forum in your language: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=78. Though it isn't very active, users from Croatia do check it out from time to time. That may be a good way to get into contact with other Linux Mint users speaking the same language.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Orbmiser wrote:You mean Codecs? (Mp3,Audio,Video).
I expect he meant country codes, as he said. Country codes, as in locales. If that's the case then he needs 'Mint with codes' :mrgreen:
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
darwiny

Post by darwiny »

Edited : (sorry about that again but I speak different in social with anyone in croatia but they don't speak like taht/me. So I have to edit and anyone can understand me easier.)
I'm not completely native croatian or english guy (of course I born in Croatia, most of them asked me "where are you from?" funny eh?)

I was asking about "No Codecs or Codecs". I'm trying to be legally as much as possible. As I heard about leglisation (or whatever is spelled and I don't care) and tried to find for country list everywhere on the internet by using google and linuxmint for info but nothing news.

The internet says only this "In usa and japan and other countries" I was asking myself "which other countries?" so i cannot find "Croatia" and there is no info.

I hate that i'm still windows user and not really proud of myself.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Codecs or No Codecs

Post by xenopeek »

If you are going to sell computers with Linux Mint, or offer similar services where you distribute Linux Mint, then play it safe and use the no codecs version. If you want, you can buy licensed codecs from Fluendo: http://www.fluendo.com/.

Note that in Europe the MP3 patent has expired as of last year and so no longer as a user are you required to obtain a license from the patent holder to use it. In other countries the patent laws are being abused to extend this period.
darwiny

Re: Codecs or No Codecs

Post by darwiny »

xenopeek wrote:If you are going to sell computers with Linux Mint, or offer similar services where you distribute Linux Mint, then play it safe and use the no codecs version. If you want, you can buy licensed codecs from Fluendo: http://www.fluendo.com/.

Note that in Europe the MP3 patent has expired as of last year and so no longer as a user are you required to obtain a license from the patent holder to use it. In other countries the patent laws are being abused to extend this period.
Finally, a gentleman administrator Xenopeek did answer on a question.

That's all. Quite really important info for anyone from outside USA / Japan. :)

Thanks, very much.

Return to “Beginner Questions”