Screen flickering problem when left on for long time

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tafhim

Screen flickering problem when left on for long time

Post by Tafhim »

I'm using Linux MInt 14 KDE
My graphics card is Intel and I updated the drivers using the X-Updates repo. Everything is well and good, even better than Cinnamon / MATE. But there's this annoying problem that I can't find any solution to it.
Whenever I leave the laptop on for a long time (~1 hour) and after that try to use it, the moment I move the mouse / press the keyboard the screen starts to show all sorts of flickerings. For sometime, it just stayed around 1 minute. But today it wasn't going away at all.

To avoid the temporary flickering, I had to lock the screen whenever I left. That stopped the screen from flickering when I got back.
But if I don't do that and just close the lid (put the monitor down) and later on put it back up the second I try to do something the screen starts to jump (flicker)

So, today when It wasn't coming up at all from that flickering, I had to use Alt+Clrl+F2 and access the root shell and use a "pkill Xorg" and then "startservice Xorg".
But as expected it took all the running apps away. :(

Is there a solution for this?? Please confirm. Otherwise I'll have to drop back to 13 (Maya)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jgrosjean
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Screen flickering problem when left on for long time

Post by jgrosjean »

I had the same annoyance. I have Nvidia video and it went away when I removed the default video driver and installed the Nvidia one.

Return to “Software & Applications”