clonezilla help

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mfluder

clonezilla help

Post by mfluder »

Does anyone out there know how to get specific files off saved clonezilla images without restoring the entire image?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dyfi

Re: clonezilla help

Post by Dyfi »

I think that would be impossible. Clonezilla has its own forum. It would be worth checking there.
mfluder

Post by mfluder »

alright. FYI, I was looking for something similar to Symantec ghost explorer. If anyone knows of an application like that for GNU/Linux, please let me know.
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

I always do a file backup with backintime and a weekly image with clonezilla. Totally safe that way!
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Clonezilla, using either partclone or partimage as a backend, works at block-level to make binary partition images. You cannot extract individual files from these images. The purpose of clonezilla is to quickly clone your system to minimize downtime if accidents happen (or to deploy tenth of identical machines on a LAN in a few minutes) and instantly restoring a complete working system.

Edit: If you want something like ghost explorer, use fsarchiver which works at file-system level and its GUI, qt4-fsarchiver.
mfluder

Post by mfluder »

Thanks for the comments guys. I am going to try qt4-fsarchiver. I just read that it is included in the latest Parted Magic distribution too. Perfect! I just want to say that it is a shame that Symantec chose not to support EXT4 filesystems in their enterprise version of ghost. I use ghost at my job to image windows machines and it works great. Anyway. If anyone else has any other ideas, please let me know. I love to use multiple technologies in case of problems.

Return to “Other topics”