(Solved) Can't connect a 3G modem using Network Manager

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
rojopablo

(Solved) Can't connect a 3G modem using Network Manager

Post by rojopablo »

Hello, I'm trying to connect my ZTE mf264 3g modem in my LMDE UP6 Mate-64bits version. So I configured it in Network Manager just like before in UP3,4 and 5 but now I can't make it work. The modem is recognized and starts to dial but then the connection fails. I've set only the PAP and CHAP methods (the only two supported by my modem). Now I'm using wvdial to connect and it works perfect so the problem could be on network manager configuration. Also the modem works fine in windows xp with the same configuration. Any idea?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rojopablo

Re: (Solved) Can't connect a 3G modem using Network Manager

Post by rojopablo »

I had to install the latest network manager packages from Debian Wheezy repos.
gir1.2-networkmanager-1.0 (0.9.4.0-6) to 0.9.4.0-10
network-manager (0.9.4.0-6) to 0.9.4.0-10
network-manager-gnome (0.9.4.1-2) to 0.9.4.1-5
usb-modeswitch-data (20120531-1) to 20120815-2
daniel227

Post by daniel227 »

did it work?
no problems?
i have the same problem on 2 debian stable based installs and am trying your solution.
daniel227

Post by daniel227 »

nope.
not here.
i did everything through gdebi, made at least 3x shutdown & restart, the modem still doesn't show up. it shows up as a drive in the "computer" file manager window. right-clicking the network-manager systray icon, mobile networking doesn't even show up.
wvdial connects the modem fine, though. it's a huawei e180.
i'm stumped, because i know it's been working on other (not debian stable based) installs.
daniel227

Post by daniel227 »

continuing my monologue...
it is working now, it seems it needed un- and re-plugging while linux is running. or maybe it needed exactly 5 reboots, i really don't know.
but now i have the desired behaviour, too.

Return to “LMDE Archive”