Using Net/Ultrabooks as e-readers.

Chat about Linux in general

Using Net/Ultrabooks as e-readers.

Postby Wouter_db on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:59 am

Hello all,

When traveling by public transport I always see folks using e-readers to read books, and was wondering if I can also use my netbook as an e-reader and avoid to buy yet another gadget. Now wait, this may sounds like the dumbest question in the history of Humanity, since I can simply turn ON my netbook and open the e-pub/pdf/etc files and read them, but hear me out for a sec: :mrgreen:

Ideally I would like to select some kind of [Insert 'fictional e-book distro'] at boot which is barely an OS but simply:
-A super-ultra lightweight distro that boots or shuts down in a few seconds (literally).
- Uses barely any power, so I can read for many hours. And yes, why not use the suspend function of my laptop when booted in Win7/Mint for fast access? But that still has so much unnecessary stuff running that my battery will be dead in 4 hours (if lucky).
-Has only the bare essentials to open e-books, and nothing else (well, support some stuff like suspend, mouse function, basic window/file manager etc)
- Perhaps only use the HD to load the e-book, and then run solely from RAM, saving power, + making it 'bumps-in-the-road' friendly.

What I envision is opening my laptop and start or continue reading in seconds in between stops when no power outlet is available for a long time. Does such a distro exist, or can I 'undress' an existing lightweight distro. (Heck even XP undressed with Nlite might qualify).

Let's see, Thx.
Fresh happy penguin since mid juli 2012. Running Mint14 XFCE on my Asus R051DX, and Mate on my HP pav dv6000.
Wouter_db
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Chat about Linux