[SOLVED] Clipping noise - Volume goes down and up fast

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Zurd
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Clipping noise - Volume goes down and up fast

Post by Zurd »

Help!

Problem : Clipping noise - Volume goes down and up fast randomly

In video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v-eYcQ_ ... e=youtu.be

Not HD and hard to see but you should be able to see those 3 windows :
1) alsamixer : Surround, Center, LFE and Side goes to 0 and backup to 100 in a split second
2) pavucontrol : Output Devices / Port : this one switches to Headphones and back to Analog Output very fast
3) KDE / System Settings / Multimedia / Phonon / Audio Hardware Setup / Device Configuration : Here it's the Connector that is switching to Headphones then back to Analog Output very fast

I uninstalled alsa and pulseaudio, same problem. I uninstalled kmix, problem disappear but I don't have sound anymore. I booted with Linux Mint 14 (both Mate and KDE), same problem right on the LiveCD. I have a dual-boot setup with Windows 7 and this one doesn't reproduce the same problem so there's no problem with my speakers or the cable.

This is my motherboard : http://ca.gigabyte.com/products/product ... id=4139#sp

Code: Select all

lspci -nn | grep -i audio
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller [8086:1e20] (rev 04)

Code: Select all

cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7c30000 irq 47
This looks like the same problem : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1067434
This one also : http://superuser.com/questions/519874/s ... d-behavior

Any help is appreciated. For now my fix is to simply reduce to the minimum the sound of my speakers and raise to the maximum the volume in KDE, the clipping noise is barely noticeable that way.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Zurd
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Clipping noise - Volume goes down and up fast

Post by Zurd »

bump, maybe I should post this elsewhere?!
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

Strange behavior indeed. I do believe that this bug would be inherited upstream (ubuntu).
Zurd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zurd »

grimdestripador wrote:Strange behavior indeed. I do believe that this bug would be inherited upstream (ubuntu).
Isn't it Debian which is upstream? And downstream would be Ubuntu? Or is linux mint picking up sound/video codec from Ubuntu so that's why it's upstream? I just downloaded Ubuntu 12.10 64bit, I will boot with it and test if I can reproduce the bug in it.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

On another node, i once had a similear problem of keyboard. See the PS2 keyboard connector was faulty, and sometimes the cable gets pulled on and my system would think i was pressing the media buttons on the top (play music, stop music, volume up)... yeah, i threw that keyboard away.
Zurd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zurd »

Weird problem you had, however in my case, it's working just fine in Windows. I posted on the ubuntu link I shared, someone seems to be aware of the problem and is helping me.
Zurd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zurd »

Return to “Sound”