About to make the move to Mint but I have a few questions.

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tuxon86
Level 1
Level 1

About to make the move to Mint but I have a few questions.

Post by Tuxon86 »

Hi!

I'm presently thinking of moving from Windows to Linux on my main workstation.
My main use of this computer is software development ( C/C++ and Java), Blender/Gimp, LibreOffice and of course all that the Internet has to offer

I know that Blender/Gimp and C/C++ aren't a problem and neither is LibreOffice or the various internet utility, quite the opposite in fact. But I have some question concerning Java and IDE.

1- How easy is it to install the latest JDK? I know that Oracle offer a rpm for it but how does this translate to Kubuntu?
2- Same question, but this time about Ecipse (Juno)...
3- How easy is it to install the latest JavaFX or other Frameworks?
4- Beside Eclipse are there any other IDE, not a code editor only, that you recommend, possibly one that could be use for both Java and C/C++?

Thanks in advance to those who reply to this post.

Tuxon86
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: About to make the move to Mint but I have a few question

Post by xenopeek »

1 - If the reference implementation of Java isn't good enough and you need Oracle Java, there are various PPAs (additional software repositories) you can use for that. For example this one from the http://www.webupd8.org/ team: https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+archive/java

2 - You can just download it from their website, extract to your home folder and run from there. That seems to be the current way to get Juno, as there are licensing restrictions preventing it from being included in the software repositories AFAIK.

3 - Not a Java programmer; no clues :wink:

4 - Geany is a lightweight IDE, usable for many programming languages. If you are searching more along the lines of Visual Studio like, consider Qt Creator for C++.
Tuxon86
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tuxon86 »

Thanks!

Presently downloading the latest stable release.
Linux mint, here I come... :mrgreen:
foodkf

Post by foodkf »

nice info with lots of new idea...i think it should be share around the web.. 8)

Return to “Other topics”