CD/DVD won't mount/read?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

CD/DVD won't mount/read?

Post by 537 »

I can't see what's in my CD/DVD. I wouldn't be able to mount it like I would do to my hard disks, example:

But I do see it here;

What do I do? I want to see what's in my CD/DVD. I want to be able to do that, but it just wouldn't work, ever since I switched to Linux Mint 14.

Anyone?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: CD/DVD won't mount/read?

Post by cwsnyder »

First, have you tried it with a CD or DVD in the drive, or just with an empty drive?

What is the result of entering the following in a terminal?

Code: Select all

cat /etc/fstab

Post by 537 »

cwsnyder wrote:First, have you tried it with a CD or DVD in the drive, or just with an empty drive?

What is the result of entering the following in a terminal?

cat /etc/fstab
I've tried it with both.

K2X ~ # cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc           proc    nodev,noexec,nosuid 0       0
# / was on /dev/sdb2 during installation
UUID=06017a22-bc68-4c37-8607-9ceff37c6711 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=42cda712-6a58-4557-b5ee-8367273b4487 none            swap    sw              0       0
K2X ~ # 
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

cwsnyder wrote:cat /etc/fstab
fstab is not relevant here, cd/dvd drives do not use fstab and the device is already shown as mounted at /dev/sr0
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

When you put a CD or DVD in the drive, is or is not the disk showing in your tree to the left side of your file manager?

Have you tried in a terminal window entering ls /media to check that there is a cdrom folder? If there isn't such a mount point, create the folder by entering sudo mkdir /media/cdrom then enter sudo mount /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom and see if your CD or DVD contents are available in the new folder /media/cdrom.

Post by 537 »

cwsnyder wrote:When you put a CD or DVD in the drive, is or is not the disk showing in your tree to the left side of your file manager?

Have you tried in a terminal window entering ls /media to check that there is a cdrom folder? If there isn't such a mount point, create the folder by entering sudo mkdir /media/cdrom then enter sudo mount /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom and see if your CD or DVD contents are available in the new folder /media/cdrom.
No, it doesn't. It only shows in "Disks."

khalyd@K2X ~ $ ls /media
cdrom  dvd  khalyd
I've already tried to do that, when I do, it says this:

khalyd@K2X ~ $ sudo mount /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom
mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: /dev/sr0: can't read superblock
khalyd@K2X ~ $ 

Post by 537 »

Anyone?
Frederator

Post by Frederator »

I had the exact same problem and followed cwsnyder's advice, creating a missing /cdrom folder and mounting to that, which resulted in the same terminal output as 537 except without "mount: /dev/sr0: can't read superblock". My cd drive then was showing up in file manager and reading the disk contents.
I'm a noob too, but a google search for "mount: /dev/sr0: can't read superblock" returned a lot of info on that particular problem and maybe you can find some answers there.
Frederator
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Whenever the OS cannot read a superblock, it is either corruption of that block or it is being wriong detected by the OS
https://linuxexpresso.wordpress.com/201 ... in-ubuntu/

You will have to use tools available to check the status/readability of your CD
--and consider for yourself how you have formatted that device (from windows or other OS, and what format was being used, and maybe which application wrote the CD), before concluding that it is a Linux problem instead of a compatibility or other issue..

If you need to check a disk (hard drive or CD/DVD) you could use a test suit..
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
--this is a boot test CD, if that loads or a Linux Mint CD loads (the one you used to install your system..), then it is your media that is the problem
tdietz2558

Post by tdietz2558 »

I am having a similar issue. If I start my system without a CD in the cd/dvd drive, no matter what I do (and I tried all of the previously suggested commands etc.), Mint won't read the disk. However, if I reboot with the CD in the drive, things seem to work fine.

Any thoughts? Am a bit of a newbie to Linux and Mint, but it is great so far - even managed to get Netflix to play streaming movies and was able to get them output over the HDMI port with stereo sound. I was impressed since Wine running Windows Firefox and Silverlight were all involved in making this work. With that level of sophistication in Linux and Mint, I can't believe solving a simple CD/DVD drive issue is causing me grief :oops:
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

@tdietz2558, You may be having a BIOS related setting problem, rather than a Linux problem. What you are saying is that your Linux install and/or machine is not detecting a change in status on your drive. This can be a hardware or a BIOS problem, but is not likely to be exclusively Linux unless you are using a non-standard drive (neither IDE, SATA, nor SCSI).
tdietz2558

Post by tdietz2558 »

The drive is a standard drive, i.e., was installed in the laptop when I bought it, and works fine under Windows. I will look into the options there might be in the BIOS regarding this drive and see if any that might be available cause things to work more reliably. Thanks for the suggestion.
startx

Post by startx »

the only solution for now is to remount cdrom from terminal

sudo umount /dev/sr0

sudo mount /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom
be sure that cdrom directory is already exist

ls /media
if not creat it by the following comand !!

sudo mkdir /media/cdrom
:mrgreen:

Return to “Beginner Questions”