Moving windows non-destructively between workspaces

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Petulka

Moving windows non-destructively between workspaces

Post by Petulka »

On my older system (Ubuntu, about 2 years ago) I could move window continuously between workspaces (example: I would move GIMP dialogs to adjacent workspaces, so that all of the “main” workspace was available for main GIMP window). Could not do it on newer systems,including Mint 14. Any ideas?

Pp
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Moving windows non-destructively between workspaces

Post by jungle_boy »

Try Gimp 2.6.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
Petulka

Post by Petulka »

Thanks Jungle_boy, but the problem is in the Workspace management, not in GIMP (I used GIMP as an example only). I used to be able to open any program (OOo word or spreadsheet, Inkscape, …) “push” it to the edge, in the Panel I could see it crossing between Workspaces, switch to the other Workspace and finish “pulling” it into that Workspace. In other words, the Workspaces created something like one huge monitor.

Thanks Pp
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

Sorry - I just re-read your original post and I understood what do you want.

I am running Linux MInt 14, Cinnamon, with Gimp 2.8; I moved GIMP dialogs to adjacent workspace, and maintained main GIMP window in another workspace, working fine.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
Honest Mistake

Post by Honest Mistake »

Petulka wrote:Thanks Jungle_boy, but the problem is in the Workspace management, not in GIMP (I used GIMP as an example only). I used to be able to open any program (OOo word or spreadsheet, Inkscape, …) “push” it to the edge, in the Panel I could see it crossing between Workspaces, switch to the other Workspace and finish “pulling” it into that Workspace. In other words, the Workspaces created something like one huge monitor.
You need compiz to be able to drag windows to another workspace. The good news is that compiz does work with MATE, but it does have some small issues that you would need to solve. You can still move windows to different workspaces without it though - I think you can just right-click window title bar and choose to move the window. Not as good as being able to simply drag windows to another workspace, but it should work.
Petulka

Post by Petulka »

Thank you all, that explains it. I did not use compiz because of the "unresolved issues". Thanks again

Petulka

Return to “MATE”